Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator will not "kick in".
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator will not "kick in".
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
My 94 Regency with the 7KW 3cyl Kabuta diesel generator will not start energizing the RV. I'm afraid that I left it dormant too long in the cold weather (I'm in north MS for a while) without startup each month. It's been setting for about 3 months and when I did start it up in about 50F weather --- it would not switch over from the ground source (with the ground source unplugged). While the gen set is running, there is no 110V inside the RV and now there is a new "whine" that I've never noticed before coming from under the RV near the gen set. Any ideas on what is causing my problem? I hope its simple!! It was working just fine before --- not a hint of a problem.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
"A new whine." suggsts some mechanical fault hiding in the bushes jumped out and bit you while the genny was dormant. It might be brushes or a bearing. or something else entirely. Odds are there is a safety device that prevents switchover if the genny isn't producing its rated voltage. That would be check #1. If the voltage is OK, it's probably in the switching mechanism. Others may have more suggestions. Bearings dry out & electrical stuff corrodes when machinery sits unused.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway has a time-delay device that allows the genset to run for a couple of minutes before closing the 120V circuit from the generator.

As olroy points out, that switch may not be getting enough voltage/current to throw. Corrosion may be an issue on connections, but 120VAC can stand a lot more than 12VDC. However, the switch may use 12VDC to the coil.

The whine may be a bearing or something, or it may be evident only because the genset engine is louder when loaded, masking the whine. My guess would be it's the generator cooling fan.

Generally the bearings are either permanently-lubricated sleeves, or more likely, sealed ball bearings, and they just rarely fail.

A mechanics stethoscope can be helpful in isolating the whine. First, however, I'd track down the electrical problem.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help on this one guys. I haven't had time to do any diagnostics yet but I suspect you are right about the output voltage being low. On our trip to CA this past summer, there were a couple of times on really rough roads that the genny output would just suddenly quit but the genny would still be running. We could pull over later and restart and the problem would go away. I suspect a loose connection or a short somewhere but it was working perfect before storage.
I'll let you know when I start trouble shooting.
Thanks again.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Strong:
On our trip to CA this past summer, there were a couple of times on really rough roads that the genny output would just suddenly quit but the genny would still be running. We could pull over later and restart and the problem would go away. I suspect a loose connection or a short somewhere but it was working perfect before storage.
I'll let you know when I start trouble shooting.
Thanks again.

I don't know your system, but is there a relay that could have been jarred out of its closed position by the rough road? If that is the case, the contacts could be arced.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know your system, but is there a relay that could have been jarred out of its closed position by the rough road? If that is the case, the contacts could be arced.

There's got to be a suspect relay in there somewhere - in addition to the possibility of arced contacts is the possibility of a bad relay or corroded coil connections.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Good news!!!! My problem turned out to be a wire that was grounding out and creating the intermittent condition. When I crawled under the front of the RV and inspected all the wires and other cables or hoses jumping from the chassis to the generator, I discovered a 4-wire flat ribbon cable that went into a black box mounted on top of the generator (not the motor). This wire had slipped out of its protective black sleeve and had rubbed all the insulation off on one of the 4 wires. I moved the wire and started the genny just for a confirmation and it worked!!! The whine went away and power started up in the unit --- just like normal. Now I will go back and insulate the wire and tie it off somewhere with a zip lock. There was no rubber gasket where the wire intered the black box and I guess road vibration caused the insulation to wear off over time.

I would advise others to check their units for this potential problem. It's a quick and easy check if you don't mind crawling under your unit.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis