Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rain Leaks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rain Leaks
 Login now/Join our community

posted
ARRRGGGHHHHHHH.......
We had 60 to 80 mph winds two days ago . People lost roofs and more. Irene and My Geodesic Dome survived magnificently well, but Gypsy Rose barth got drowned! The beautiful light grey carpet at the floor line of the driver and co-pilot(?)seats is soaked! It has all turned brown from (I think) the plywood. I'm ready to slit my wrists as I can't find the source of the water leaks, I thought maybe the area above the mirrors, but that wasn't it. Could it be higher, I checked , but couldn't find anything without ripping the entire place apart. If anyone has any good ideas, I'd be forever greatful.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
John and Irene,
That kind of wind will drive water through the side windows without a doubt. If you didn't have a leaks in roof prior to the storm, you probably don't now, unless the roof was damaged. Take you garden hose and have someone outside spray the windows along the edges. You should go inside and watch what happens, my guess is you will see water come running in. The seal around the edges of the sliding windows is not good enough to stop water under that kind of pressure. If you have a shop vac, get in there and suck as much of the water as possible. You may also contact someone like Service Master as they are professionals that deal with that kind of a problem. They may be able to save you from putting in new carpet. Hope all goes well from here.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
hey john-
try this product called Hot Shot. i have used on all kinds of carpet "emergencies" in my rv, car and home. just follow instructions. better living through chemistry. i would try to get at your stain before it dries!

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/spot_shot.html

I used to only find it at Sam's Club but I see it all over nowadays. good luck

Posts: 6 | Location: Marion, Iowa USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irene&John: Sorry about your Barth:Wish I knew something that would help,but with that much water,Bill G has a good reply,and the other reply was good.Maybe the windshield?Is it wet under the dash? Around Motor hood? I know your motor hood is inside,but with wind like that who know?Best wishes Jay&Shelby:

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We are all just grasping at straws here, however do you have Maxxair covers on your vents?

www.maxxair.com

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
Why did you ask about the Maxxair covers? Do they often leak or what? Is this something I should know about?

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
No they in fact keep leaks from happening. Beford I had them my regular vents would leak in rains that included windy conditions. since I have Maxxairs on all my vents I have had no problem with leaking in the vents. We also have the louvered vents for the windows so we have have the sindows slightly open in the rain.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have MaxxAir covers, but the leak(S) is/are way forward of any vents. I hunted all over but can't see a hole. I'm thinking the force of the wind rammed the rain in around the window seals somehow. It's a hell of a mess! I've shop vac'd about 1/2 a pint of water up under the drivers' seat and it's even flowed down next to the couch. The passenger side fared a lot better, I think the trap door thing in the foot space let a lot of water out before it could puddle, plus the wind was mostly from the left side. Lots of big trees down too, so as there is a still standing 2 1/2' dia. Alder next to the left of the Barth I guess I should be happy a little water was all that got in and not 1000 board ft. of lumber. Now if I can just find some of that rug cleaner..
Thanx to all, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
During the Monsoon season, I tape the line where the windows overlap and try to park facing the wind. I have to do that with my 4Runner, too, as it has sliding windows on the back. My camper shell on my pickup leaks there, too, but so what?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the photo of the Maxxair vents on the side windows: I ordered a set of those and while reviewing the installation instructions (sometimes I do actually read the instructions....and once I stopped and asked directions when lost on the road) it appears that there is a "stop" you have to install to restrict the travel of the window slide. Somehow, that just doesn't suit me. Did I misunderstand, or will there be a set of vents for sale here next week? :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron,

Mine were on the coach when I bought it but the windows do slide all the way so the stops may not have been installed. There is no reason to have a stop because you can plainly see how wide the windows can be open and still be effective.

You know, I have the center twin set up in the center with the rear bath. I have gone to bed at night during a rain and opened the window next to my head. When I have the big fan on in the kitchen the most wonder breeze comes in and I don't have to worry about water on my face.

That makes for a great daydream since I just came in from blowing 6 inches of snow.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

posted Hide Post
"That makes for a great daydream since I just came in from blowing 6 inches of snow."

I'd almost trade this 40-degree mist pushed by a 25MPH wind for your snow. :-)

Thanks for the input. I guess the window opening range is limited to the 4-6 inches the vent allows then?

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have some stops that fasten with a thumbscrew to limit the window opening for pet ventilation while we are gone. Keeps the pets in and the bad guys out.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, now I see the reasoning behind the stop! Duuuhhh, billh, you know why my head hurts so often. :-)