Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Noisy windows
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Noisy windows
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Took the Euro 22 out for our first outing this last weekend, everything seemed to go OK escept for the terrible noise coming from the windows. Upon investigation it appears that the wiskers in the moving frames are dried up and not able to provide a seal against the stationary frames. Anyone have a cure for this? Is this material available for replacement? Thanks for any advice..........Tim

Posts: 24 | Location: Sagle ID USA | Member Since: 06-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK Tim, I've followed you through the hunt, purchase and delivery, and I'm going to throw something at you that you may not want to hear. Old motorhomes are loud going down the road. The solid feeling and extremely good handling of a Barth still is not going to quiet it to the point of an MCI or some other such high dollar bus. I get a ton of window noise at high speed. My concerns are 1;do they leak? 2;do they fall out? If no and no, then I'll put up with the noise until I get to the next campground or racetrack. If you still feel uncomfortable, might I suggest riding in a friends SOB down the highway and then rethinking your noise priorities. These coaches are not Rolls Royces and Mercedes, they are big busses built on big truck and bus frames. You will hear the howl of the clutch fan, and probably the tires turning down the road, and if you're lucky, you'll learn to differenciate the sound of a bad thing from the sound of something running right, but if you don't hear anything at all, you'll never know the difference. Please note that I would never have posted this to someone who just bought a big DP 7 figure rig. I want you to enjoy your Euro to the fullest and not worry that it may not be perfect, because you have the finest older motorhome
ever built!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Peninsula Glass Company in Vancouver WA makes some of the finest windows for RV's you can buy. Their number used to be 800-468-4323. They installed all new windows in my 85 28' Regal in 1999. The windows are insulated, tinted, altitude compensated, rubber tracks(means a lot re rattles), and they don't make a sound and I mean not one rattle. They cost $3380 in '99, but if you're going to keep the coach and use it, it might be worth considering. My coach is just as quiet, actually quieter, than the 35' Dynasty diesel pusher we used to have. and when I'm finished putting the Gear Vendors over/under in it, it will be even better. When my wife is standing outside talking to me, I can't hear a thing she says, not even when she raises her voice. So, if you want to fix those windows, it can be done and while it's expensive, I doubt that you'll regret it.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK Danny, the windows don't leak and thus far they have not fallen out, so I will try to enjoy the old girl even though she is not perfect. I still think she is pretty cool though. Danny, I assume DP is Deisel Pusher but can't figure what SOB is ?.

humbojb, thanks for the info on Peninsula Glass. What was it that prompted you to upgrade your windows on the Regal ?. The Gear Vendors overdrive unit is a pretty expensive upgrade so I'm sure that you have done you're homework on this subject, what can an individual expect in the form of performance/economy improvements with that unit ?. Sorry but I had to laugh when you we're describing your wife raising her voice with you inside and not able to hear her. This is not a case of you hiding in the Regal and not getting you chores done is it ?.

Thanks Guys........Tim

Posts: 24 | Location: Sagle ID USA | Member Since: 06-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Tim. SOB around here means Something Other than Barth, but for the longest time I thought it meant some other brand. My point is, if you ride in a SOB 22 gasser, you'll have a whole new respect for your Barth. Enjoy it!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yeah--I can now blame it on the windows. There's Tere outside, screeming at me so I don't run over something or somebody, and I'm just blithfully motoring on. The reason for the windows is that the original ones just rattled like crazy. The main reason for the gear vendors is wear and tear on the engine. It will reduce rpm's from 3000 at 60 mph to 2200. Fuel efficiency? Maybe 1 to 2 mpg. But the wear and tear is the main thing. My 454 has 75000 on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
TIM I HAVE THE ORIGINAL 1976 WINDOWS, I DON'T GET ANY AIR NOISE FROM MY WINDOWS, BUT I LIMIT MY SPEED TO AROUND 60MPH. I DO HAVE A RATTLE IN MY FRONT PASSENGER SIDE SCREEN, THERE IS A SMALL PLASTIC PEACE THAT THE SCREEN RIDE ON I NEED TO FINE NEW ONES ,I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE WINDOW SLIDE BUT THE SMALL ONES THAT HOLD THE SCREEN IN. I ALSO INSULATED THE UNDER SIDE OF THE DOG HOUSE, THAT CUT DOWN ON SOME OF THE ENGINE NOISE. MINE IS REALLY PRETTY QUIET.

RALPH

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ralph, you mentioned that you insulated the underside of the doghouse, mine has insulation under it now and I assume that yours did originally as well. What did you use, did you replace the original or add to it....Tim

posted Hide Post
Tim when I bought my Barth the original dog house insulation was gone. I bought some new insulation from JC WHITNEY advertised as the same technology as developed by NASA to protect its spacecraft. Part number WC250705N
for a sheet 48 by 72 inches. Cost 26.95. Really worked good for me.

Ralph

It comes in a roll not a sheet.

[This message has been edited by REGLOVER (edited June 30, 2005).]

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Ralph, how did you fasten it to the underside of the doghouse?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

posted Hide Post
Dan, I used an adhesive to hold it in place then I used the longest staples I could get as a backup. I also used the aluminium tape to seal it.
I have a 1976 Barth and it has a wood doghouse covered with carpet, orginial stuff.

Ralph

posted Hide Post
Reglover

The insulation you got from Whitney - how thick was it?

BB

Posts: 7 | Location: Thomasburg, Ontario, Canada | Member Since: 11-07-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Back to window noise.....there is an Airstream forum that had a post on replacing the seals. I had a computer crash and lost it, though.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
I just replaced all of the window glazing on my 25' 1973. Finally found it at [URL=http://all-rite.com/ I think they also have the plastic piece Ralph mentioned. The new glazing sure made it look better and even though my windows weren't leaking yet the glazing was dried out and shrinking away from the frames.

[This message has been edited by Bill Stevson (edited July 04, 2005).]

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BB BARTH THE INSULATION I PURCHASED FROM JC WHITNEY WAS ABOUT 1/2 INCH.

RALPH