Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    well it happend(lighting hit)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

well it happend(lighting hit)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
Friday night the barth took a lighting hit will be stuck at a campground till fixed. WE lost the surge protector -inverter -refrigerator all 110v switch box till that gets fixed. need to know what to look fore. insurance wants to take pics but nothing to see it's all internal. Had rv doctor out to look said I was lucky.THE OTHER TWO melted ANYTHING that was electric . The coach next to me was a mess never saw it was to fixated on the barth. need advise on parts and what to try to get. rusty will see this i hope.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I infer that it cannot be driven, since you say you are stuck in campground. Otherwise, it should be taken to qualified, reputable shop where all electrical devices can be checked and a computerized repair order can be prepared for your insurance company. I was a claim rep for decades. While it is your responsibility to present your claim, a claim rep should scrutinize what you submit. It may be beneficially fortuitous whereas you should be covered for new components to replace those ruined, some of which may have been very old.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Ps
Be sure to check everything that works with RF, even if not plugged in. Lightning creates a huge radio frequency burst in addition to thousands of volts of electricity. So, things like garage door opener (receiver)boards are often fried. You probably don't have much in the way of an RF receiver board. My coach has an after-market TPMS with an RF antenna.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
So sorry about your misfortune, Lenny and Judy. That goodness the two of you weren't hurt. You can fix the Barth Smiler
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK! Now we can recall another reason for owning a Barth: Being all metal, it protects its occupants from lightning far better than a Plastic Pig.

You can probably drive the coach to a repair shop safely after checking the batteries.

The 120 VAC cutover relay should be checked along with the microwave, TVs, TV antenna, HW heater (if equipped with a 120 VAC element - usually being immersed in water prevents damage to these), the roof airs (if they were running). I assume by "inverter" you meant the 120 VAC-12 VDC "converter", and that should be replaced.

As Mogan David mentioned, all other electronics should be checked as well. While the coach protects from the strike itself, aluminum doesn't protect well at all from the magnetic pulse erupting from a strike.

Like Mogan David, I spent 30 years in the property insurance racket, er, "profession" in the Lightning Capitol of the US. Among the hundreds of claims, I never has one where the wiring was damaged except locally at a component that had overheated.

So all outlet covers should be pulled and the outlets examined for heat (melting or severe discoloration).

Examine the fuses on the converter - if they haven't blown there is likely no damage to the 12 VDC system (which is why I mentioned above the coach is probably safe to drive to a repair shop - but I don't know where you are...probably west of Tallahassee if you got the lightning Friday).

If it were I and in the panhandle or west, I'd go back the BillyTs. If you're in the Eastern Time Zone (east of the Appalachacola), there's a very good RV place about 10 miles off I-75 exit 399.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Being anywhere near a lightning strike is very weird and can do strange things. Find a good tech and check EVERYTHING with wires, esp. ground circuits.
In 1971 I was working inside a 38 ft wooden boat, preparing for removal of the blown GM 371 diesel engine. We had all the floor boards up and it was raining hard. BOOM! Outside witnesses saw a bolt hit the boat directly, with St. Elmo's fire all over the outside. Inside was LOUD. I was fortunately not touching anything metal, because it was all lit up by corona. The flash left me almost blinded, with a vivid after image of all the metal, wires, shaft, fuel tanks! (glad it wasn't gasoline)
The static made my hair stand up and the ozone was overpowering. I instinctively went for the fire extinguisher. The outside witnesses ran over to look and we found no signs of the strike!
Weeks later, when the new engine went in we had weird charging problems. After some lengthy troubleshooting we found hidden damage. It had two separate 12v systems and one of the interconnecting ground cables had fused without any damage to the outside insulation! This was in the day of HF radios which required a large (2' x 3') copper ground plate. Evidently the lightning went there via the 00 guage (big) ground cable. Look carefully! good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT did feel funny thought it was over I have a atrial fibrillation. Any way am going to the clinic tomorrow for coumadin check I will have them check that while I am there still walkin.The other three did not fair so well.at least the surge guard did its job.My Imac is ok can't touch anything till get the OK
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The symptoms Lenny described in the original post are common with induced current caused by a ground strike where underground conductors are present.

The cause is that the lightning produces current, and a changing current (rising and collapsing in the case of a lightning bolt) produces a similarly rising and collapsing magnetic field. If there are conductors in this varying magnet field, a current is induced in them.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Rusty, wouldn't a Barth or AirStream act like a giant Faraday Cage to protect the occupants? I can see how all electronics would be toast, but all that stuff can be replaced. People can't.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
One more item to check (based on personal experience): if you have a sleep Number Bed the control box/pump under the bed has a voltage protection diode that blows if input voltage exceeds the rating. Being cheap and not covered by insurance at the time I found a new diode and soldered it back in and fixed it. Sleep Number told me I would need a new pump/control and it would be over $500. I also lost the electronic thermostats on both roof airs, even though they were off.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
Rusty, wouldn't a Barth or AirStream act like a giant Faraday Cage to protect the occupants? I can see how all electronics would be toast, but all that stuff can be replaced. People can't.

Yes, a Barth is like (an imperfect) Faraday cage. Faraday cages are excellent for containing electrical impulses, but not magnetic (they're not designed to). To attenuate magnetic pulses, the cage has to be of a magnetic material.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, a Barth is like (an imperfect) Faraday cage. Faraday cages are excellent for containing electrical impulses, but not magnetic (they're not designed to). To attenuate magnetic pulses, the cage has to be of a magnetic material.

Yup, that's exactly why I traded to a steel Wanderlodge.

Truth is, neither will act like a Faraday cage if you have the power cord plugged in as Lenny did. It creates an unprotected pathway directly into the sensitive electronics. A surge protector will help a little, depending on the amount of energy in the strike and lesser resistant pathways for the power to bleed off.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GOOD morning we are now up to $4300,00 that means to me that if the frig works that will be a start. Am getting a Hart 2000 inverter to replace the one that is gone. the power switch box that was made by Todd Engineering which is out of that side of their products will Replace with something that will do the job.the igniter board on the frig may not be the problem,but that is the first of a few thing s I have to look at . The hub cap was 6 feet away from the coach so bearings will have be looked at . no 110 so every socket will be inspected.both airs, tv microwave,.we were watching a dvd at the time and saw that slowly dim out not just go blank. now hotel while working on the coach , car to get around , food ..... Am I missing anything?
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
To learn a lesson from this - when camping should we disconnect the electric feed and coil it back up inside the camper if lightening is in the area?

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
the power switch box that was made by Todd Engineering which is out of that side of their products will Replace with something that will do the job. ..... Am I missing anything?

Lenny,

Todd Engineering is no longer. Here is a posting I put together on replacing my Todd Eng ATS with a TRC unit that has surge protection built in.

Replacing the ATS in MB Express

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post