Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    converter / battery charger
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

converter / battery charger
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
One like yours is totally acceptable (did your Dad wire it? Someone who was thinking ahead did...)
When I redid the basement and ran wires I decided to wire in a 50 Amp outlet for the Barth and ran another 50 Amp outlet for a dryer I no longer had. I figured if I ever added an addition to the back end of the house I would use that point to add an electrical sub-box. The dryer area is very close to the area where I would expand without me having to rip open the walls or ceilings to run more wires back to the main electrical box.

When I stated that I was out of my element I was mostly talking about correct terminology. Unless I look at it again I couldn't tell you 100% if the upper center or lower center is the neutral. I have a good understanding but is not something I work on a lot.

I like reading Bill H's post on his 3 phase motors at the airport. I wish I knew a little bit more about that. But, I think, I would have little practical use for it.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
3-Phase is not for he faint-hearted - not to mention that getting it to a residence is next to impossible.

A neighbor has a woodworking shop and got a sensational deal on some 440/3-phase equipment - and he asked for my advice, which ended up being to get an M/G set to run the gear off its native config. Unfortunately, he tried several "will work" thingies, which didn't work, but cost him a few kilobucks. The power comapny wanted something like $12K to bring 440/3 to his site (which was really a bargain), but the M/G set was <$3K.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
3-Phase is not for he faint-hearted

Gotta love that one. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I know whereof I speak, as my college roommate has his famous quote hung at the entrance to the electrical lab (with the charred electrical 4'x8' breadboard that was the subject): "Sure it's okay! Throw the switch!"

Which resulted in a dead short across 440V 3 phase...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post