converter / battery charger

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/5981066012

10-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Bill N.Y.
converter / battery charger
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
One like yours is totally acceptable (did your Dad wire it? Someone who was thinking ahead did...)
When I redid the basement and ran wires I decided to wire in a 50 Amp outlet for the Barth and ran another 50 Amp outlet for a dryer I no longer had. I figured if I ever added an addition to the back end of the house I would use that point to add an electrical sub-box. The dryer area is very close to the area where I would expand without me having to rip open the walls or ceilings to run more wires back to the main electrical box.

When I stated that I was out of my element I was mostly talking about correct terminology. Unless I look at it again I couldn't tell you 100% if the upper center or lower center is the neutral. I have a good understanding but is not something I work on a lot.

I like reading Bill H's post on his 3 phase motors at the airport. I wish I knew a little bit more about that. But, I think, I would have little practical use for it.

Bill N.Y.
10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Rusty
3-Phase is not for he faint-hearted - not to mention that getting it to a residence is next to impossible.

A neighbor has a woodworking shop and got a sensational deal on some 440/3-phase equipment - and he asked for my advice, which ended up being to get an M/G set to run the gear off its native config. Unfortunately, he tried several "will work" thingies, which didn't work, but cost him a few kilobucks. The power comapny wanted something like $12K to bring 440/3 to his site (which was really a bargain), but the M/G set was <$3K.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
10-04-2006, 12:31 AM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
3-Phase is not for he faint-hearted

Gotta love that one. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Rusty
I know whereof I speak, as my college roommate has his famous quote hung at the entrance to the electrical lab (with the charred electrical 4'x8' breadboard that was the subject): "Sure it's okay! Throw the switch!"

Which resulted in a dead short across 440V 3 phase...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields