Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New motorhome seeks new engine...diesel vs gas
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New motorhome seeks new engine...diesel vs gas
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of David Arias
posted
Hiya All.

So I am new to the forum and am really hoping for any info that might help guide my journey with our new Barth. We recently purchased this amazing motorhome and despite its youthful appearance we are faced with replacing the engine. It suffered a significant meltdown leaving it stranded about an hour and a half from home. A mechanic has spent a little time with it and reports that coolant is coming out of the exhaust when he cranks it so whatever the cause, it sounds pretty grim.

I have had the idea that at some point in the future I would like to replace the engine with a diesel, however I didn't think it would be so soon!
So I am seeing a couple of possibilities. One is I could put the diesel idea on hold for now pick up a used 350, pop it in, and be on the road again. The other is to continue the research on conversion options (I have been looking at the Isuzu 4bd1t but am not sure about the best transmission options yet). Has anyone else done this?

One slightly silly question, does anyone know what the best way to remove the engine is??? I guess I am hoping that I can unbolt it, pull it forward, drop it down, and roll it out. Not that it will all just be that easy, but I can dare to dream, right?

Thanks so much for any info, thoughts, words of encouragement (or even discouragement)!

David

-

1969 Barth 24 footer
Chevy P-something-or-another ?
Chevy 350 and TH400 Transmission
Data Tag # 6910783MH

Posts: 3 | Location: Portland Oregon | Member Since: 09-22-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Give us complete details of your Barth...year, engine, etc

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David Arias
posted Hide Post
Akk, of course! (newbie poster!)

1969/70
chevy p-???
chevy 350 with 350 trans

-

1969 Barth 24 footer
Data Tag # 6910783MH

Posts: 3 | Location: Portland Oregon | Member Since: 09-22-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Arias:

..... does anyone know what the best way to remove the engine is??? I guess I am hoping that I can unbolt it, pull it forward, drop it down, and roll it out. Not that it will all just be that easy, but I can dare to dream, right?

David

I removed my 454 by supporting the engine and removing the suspension crossmember and lowering the engine to the ground, then pulling it forward.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Is the problem worse than just needing a new head gasket? If it is not the head gasket, then it could also be the cylinder head itself, with a crack. And given the era, those heads were not made with the hardened valve seats to handle the unleaded gas today. You'd want to replace them anyway.

Do you know if there is damage to the engine block? Or if the engine was run for a long time with coolant in the oil, such that the bearings are damaged?

good luck!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 526 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
To convert to diesel you have one major problem and that is weight. The 350 is a fairly light weight engine and the diesels aren't. The chassis is barely able to handle the weight of a 454.

That being said you have a number of options. These include the GM 6.5T, Duramax, Navistar 6.0T and 6.4T. Find out what they weight and start there.

Transmission would be served best by an Allison 1000/2000 series.

If you need a new motor, a 350FI crate engine might be you best option. Add a later model GM transmission with overdrive and lockup torque converter and you would have a nice ride.

Finally removal of the old. I have heard all kinds of horror stories. The mfger got the chassis with engine installed and made no provision for ever changing it. If you are lucky it will come out the front. Some coaches you had to remove the windshield and bring it up and out. Some you removed thru a side window. And worst case you separated the chassis from the frame and lifted the body up.

So very good luck to you.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David Arias
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

I removed my 454 by supporting the engine and removing the suspension crossmember and lowering the engine to the ground, then pulling it forward.

Great! Sounds like a reasonable job.

quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
Is the problem worse than just needing a new head gasket? If it is not the head gasket, then it could also be the cylinder head itself, with a crack. And given the era, those heads were not made with the hardened valve seats to handle the unleaded gas today. You'd want to replace them anyway.

Do you know if there is damage to the engine block? Or if the engine was run for a long time with coolant in the oil, such that the bearings are damaged?

good luck!
Matt

That is good to know about the heads needing upgrading. I don't know anything about the condition of the block yet. My guess right now is that it overheated, blew the head gasket, and stopped running very soon after, so perhaps no major block damage? I am piecing the story together from my wife's recollection and what the mechanic has figured out so far.

-

1969 Barth 24 footer
Data Tag # 6910783MH

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
To convert to diesel you have one major problem and that is weight. The 350 is a fairly light weight engine and the diesels aren't. The chassis is barely able to handle the weight of a 454.

Don't know what the GM 6.2 weighs, but some Barths had them.

A 6.2 or 6.5 would be an easy swap, but you would need a stronger transmission and a regeared diff.

Search for Rusty's posts on his 6.5. Lots of info there.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
I'd keep the gasoline powered small block, but go with a GM crate engine. A nice stroker 383 and maybe upgrade to a simple throttle body fuel injection.
Before anything, I would remove the heads and see what you're dealing with. If you didn't get coolant in the oil your bearings are probably fine, assuming you had decent oil pressure. If your heads are warped, it's not alot of money to buy new heads with the hardened seats.
Good luck,
Richard

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you love the Barth you can find lots of remanufactured engine houses that will upgrade and solve all the problems of twenty year old engines.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC:
I'd keep the gasoline powered small block, but go with a GM crate engine. A nice stroker 383

Me, too.

I think you would be very happy with the ht383

I have an LT1/4 in a Jag that is gonna get 383'd sometime.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
What is your budget? Are you going to handle this yourself or farm it out?what shape was the engine in before the water in the oil. How many mile on engine? The possibility of a bad head gasket is good. Do it yourself for a few hundred. If it were mine and it ran great before.(low oil usage, good power) I would pull plugs to isolate what cylinder is leaking. pull the intake and heads . Once the intake and heads are off you will be able to check out cam,lifters,valves and guides. If things look good I would have the heads done (valves ground, guide reamed or replaced and head surfaced) by a good machine shop. I would replace timing chain,water pump,belts and hoses. I would stay with the S.B. engine It has lived in the Barth for over 40 years just fine. With what I have seen of this Coach it should make it another 40.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
He bought Steve's Barth. 6910783MA Chevy 350 with 350 trans

I'd get the GM crate engine and replace the front springs too.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post