Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Compartment doors leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Compartment doors leak
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
My 92 Regency has the standard compartment door that open from the bottom and locks using the the draw tight style of lock. I have two compartments that leak when it rains. I have tightened the clamp on the door locks , but it has not helped. The water gets in anyway. This happens even when the coach is just sitting. Additionally the door started to leak as well this season as water now seeps in and accumulates in the step area.

Has anyone had and solved this problem? The gaskets are not damaged and still seem supple. Suggestions welcomed.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Sounds like what's going on with our Regal. All my leaks, weeps and drips seem to be coming from dead seals around the windows. The water starts in the sliding window trough, goes under and around the stationary pane and runs inside the walls and on the interior wall too. I put electrical tape across all the slider bottom sides and that pretty well stopped it for now. New windows are next in order for us. After seeing what Peninsula glass has to offer, fixing the Hiers is not an option.
Hope this helps, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I also have a compartment that leaks. It is not underneath a window, so I do not believe that is where the water is getting in. I am going to try some things this weekend to eliminate possibilities. Wish me luck.

Dennis

------------------

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill & Dennis,
Once I taped up the sliding windows my compartments stayed dry. I'm thinking once the water hits the bottom inside the wall it goes wherever it can. If there's no compartment below to run into, the water simply goes on the ground, and is un-noticed.
But, Hey, I've been wrong before..... A lot!
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
John, you're making me nervous........what brand windows does your coach have? Mine has Hehr.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
what brand windows does your coach have? Mine has Hehr.[/B]

Hehr (I misspelled it on my first posting)also!
I can stuff the inside of the window track with paper towels and the floor will still get wet, so it must be getting down inside the walls. Only when I taped up the outside did it stop. If it hadn't been for "Grizzly Giants" suggestion to get a dehumidifier I'd have never got it dry enough to find out where it all was coming from..... I was sure the roof was leaking!
The more water that got in the more condensate I had.. kind of a Spiral Dive I could't get out of. Maybe this particular coach dried out the seals in the Desert and because I live in a bonafide Rain Forest that caused my problem.
Ahoy, Matey

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I never considered that the water may be getting in thought the windows and running down into the compartments. I have no signs of leaking around the windows. are the window gaskets replaceable?

My thought was that the gaskets were not sealing around the compartments. I figured I would buy some of that stainless steel tape and place a layer around the door frame and see if the extra thickness would help. I'll certainly check the windows more closely. Thanks to all.

Bill Goodwin

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post