Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Limp Home mode (wheel & tire)/limited funds
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Limp Home mode (wheel & tire)/limited funds
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Raven1962
posted
I have a problem...

The Barth I bought has been sitting and most of the tires are shot AND some of the tires and wheels are gone, anyway.I believe I have 8 rims, maybe 3 iffy tires and 2 that appear to be holding their own. Please keep in mind that she is gutted and there is nothing in any of the holding tanks... No idea how much lighter than baseline, but there are absolutely NO furnishings, other than the cockpit and the bathroom... I could even yank and burn the limited carpet, and interior paneling and ceiling panels, since it needs to be done, anyway... (Yes, she's in THAT kind of bad shape).

I need to move her, as cheaply as possible, as soon as I can. At very-slow limp/crawl speeds at night, would using 6 wheels and tires be a functional solution? 2-front, and 1 on each end of the drive and tag-axles... Call it 45 mph for 4-6 hours, sticking to back-roads, if I can get her running..., and lights working,...?

I'm not getting any sort of answers from the one cheap towing service, which would need a long low-boy trailer to do anything, anyway (she's 35 ft). I have maybe $700-$850 to work with and not finding any sort of deals, even on used tires.

This IS a worst-case-scenario, not a 'what-if'... It's REALLY that BAD and I'm REALLY getting THAT desperate..., but I am NOT giving up. I need a real-world working-solution.

Jeff F.
Desperate in
Cedar Creek, TX

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain.
Let us not forget that if you get it to the point that you can do the tow, you must still be able to stop the thing!!!!
Have you given U-Ship a try? Also check around for Load Brokers for the trucking industry that may be in your area. Also if you have any construction companies with equipment and the machinery to move it in your area you may be able to work out a deal with one of them.
Just some suggestions. Hope it helps. Thumbs Up

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Either ship it or get new rubber. A blowout could jeopardize your coach and you. Good luck. Richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly agree! Some things can be trifled with or deferred - tires are not among them.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Going to try shipping, first, but no way to even guess at the curb weight. I just don't have the access to measure the weight. I have missing rims and multiple flats. I think I have 5 out of 8 rims and only 3 holding air. Would it be safe enough to trailer, on 4, with one on each front corner and one on each end of either the drive axle, or the tag axle?
Just so busy with trying to empty and clean it out, in the heat, I haven't really got a good mental image of the wheel and tire situation. I KNOW she has 3-4 flats at the rear with at least one missing rim on the passengers' side. I think the drivers' rear has all 3 flat. The guy sold the property without emptying it, so he's in a rush, which puts me in a bind, and we're almost 2 hours away with crappy weather coming in.
Haven't even had the time to pull the inside cover off, much less attempt to pull plugs, shoot in some knock-'er-loose, check fluids and try to turn over the engine.
Most of the rubber is so rotten it left skid-marks on packed grassy sand, when they drug it out of where it has sat for years.
If I can get all 4 corners up, it'll be far easier to winch onto a trailer, than trying to drag her.
Once she's 'here', I can jack her up and put her on blocks, to prevent the same situation, while I work on her. Need to finish gutting her and start over, almost from scratch.

Jeff F.
Cedar Creek, TX

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have some spare 6-lug Budd steel wheels, 6x19.5 for when you get home; I don't know what your chassis takes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have some spare 6-lug Budd steel wheels, 6x19.5 for when you get home; I don't know what your chassis takes.

Thank you! Will keep that in mind. Not sure if she has the 6, 12, 5, or 10 hole wheels. I know the tag axle and front hubs have half as many lugs as the drive axle.

Jeff F.
Cedar Creek, TX.

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
So, here's what we did...

Back in November, we bought a Premium AAA Roadside service membership. I called AAA, argued with them, demanded a supervisor, and they finally sent out a wrecker and road-side service to assist with a wheel-change and intended flat-tow, which turned into a backward-tow with ONLY front wheels on and got maybe 10 miles, before pulling over and waiting for a LARGE flatbed tow. Got to within 5 miles of the house and did that last bit as a backward tow, at about 5 mph, then mounted the wheels I have and pushed her into the current spot... BUT, she has arrived!

In the process, she has earned the nickname "Big Bad Bertha"

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Glad you got " Big Bad Bertha " home . Now the FUN begins . Best of luck with the project .
Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Thank you. There's nothing significant worth saving inside. She was used for storage and rat-infested. No odor, but it's definitely tear-down-to-the-shell and rework everything.

Not even going to feel bad about the dash, or overhead compartment. Yes, THAT bad... For $2k, I didn't expect it to be this good... Fortunately, I live relatively close to several pick-a-part type salvage yards, with a wide variety of vehicles to choose from, for the cockpit, and for the rest of the interior, I already have ideas.

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)