Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    50 amp connection?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

50 amp connection?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
im in the process of updating all my 50 amp connections. as this is my first rv im unfamiliar with the plug cofiguration that is used at rv parks. what plug/receptacle type should i install? also, should i have alternate patch cords on hand in case of different pin config at park? any wiring configuration tips would be a big help.
thanks again,
patrick

1977 30t

Posts: 21 | Location: renagade6785@aol.com | Member Since: 09-30-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Any good RV store should have an adapter which consists of a female 50 amp connector and a male 30 amp plug which will fit between your 50 amp cord and a 30 amp receptacle. It is unlikely that your rear air conditioner will work. If it does, don't use it, as you could have an overloaded neutral. There is also an adapter that will connect your 30 amp plug adapter to a 20 amp household receptacle. On a household receptacle, you gotta be careful of loads.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Most of this was covered recently: go to 07 March in this topic and many of your questions may be answered.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Just remeber that the thirty amp service is 120 volts and not 220. I found this out the hard way. I only burned up my battery charger that I had plugged into the plug-in on the side of the coach. I really smoked that thing. It was really something to see that thing jumping up and down and smoking.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Bill H. had posted on this subject some time back about using a polarity checker before he hooked up his coach at a new location. So even if the plug you have is a 120 and not a 220 plug (yea I also had a definitive learning moment with this trick) a quick check to see if things are in order is well advised.

A polarity checker will tell you is the plug you are going to hook you Barth up to was wired correctly. They can be purchased at most of the warehouse home improvement places and are quite easy to read.

When I saw Bill's post I said oh boy thank you Dave; I'm really getting my money worth out of this forum.

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited March 30, 2005).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
This thread had made me think of a question about the 85 28' Regal that I'll be picking up in Arizona this month. The owner said that it has a 30 amp plug. I thought all the Regals with 2 a/cs had 50 amp service since a 30 amp couldn't handle both a/c's at the same time. Can anyone give me info? Maybe it's really 50 amp with a 30 amp pigtail. What would be involved in upgrading to a 50 amp service if it is really a 30 amp service?

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My Regal brochures tell me that 30A was standard or 22 nd 25 footer and 28 up were all 50A. My 1985 28footer has just one AC and I have 50A.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 84 Regal 28 is 50amp w/2AC's. I carry a 30amp and even a 120 dog bone.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by humbojb:
This thread had made me think of a question about the 85 28' Regal that I'll be picking up in Arizona this month. The owner said that it has a 30 amp plug. I thought all the Regals with 2 a/cs had 50 amp service since a 30 amp couldn't handle both a/c's at the same time. Can anyone give me info? Maybe it's really 50 amp with a 30 amp pigtail. What would be involved in upgrading to a 50 amp service if it is really a 30 amp service?

I would suspect you are right in a dual air conditioner coach having 50 amp service. 30 amps will not do a very good job on two ACs. It has been done, but I can't imagine a reputable company like Barth doing it. The real problem is the chance of both ACs trying to start at once. There is a circuit to cycle the two to prevent problems on 30 amp circuits.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
You should also carry at least 2 male/male adapter cords, Ron can supply these to you at a very fair price.......Hint, this should of been posted Yesterday but i was at work and had other things going on so did not see this till now.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Shadow, could you be so kind as to adjust your schedule. You tardiness in sharing this important information could indeed create problems which one could not even imagine, or even make up, or dream of or well you know what I mean.

------------------

posted Hide Post
So sorry Dave, part of the problem was that the computer has been in and out of the shop for the last 2 weeks with major problems and we just got it back and it finally seems to be cured.....at least it is still working after 3 days so we are hopeful it is finally fixed. also our cell phone which we use with the computer has been acting up too. My wife figures the digital camera will be next and i won't even bother to tell you about the hassle we have had for the last 2 months trying to get one of our lcd tvs fixed. But that is life and if this is the extent of my problems for a while i am getting off easy so i won't complain. Will try to be more prompt in the future.......maybe...

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shadow, I do understand there are extenuating circumstances, but could you imagine the disaster if one of our newby's went on a trip with out at least one male to male connector. (not available in Minnesota)

------------------

posted Hide Post
Yes Dave, i shudder when i think of the possible mishaps that could occur....even lost a lot of sleep over it last nite. "not available in Minnesota".....doesn't state law require that yours has to be a y cord with m/m/m ends? or is that N. Dakota?....i always get those states confused, yah by golly.