Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air conditioner Shroud replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air conditioner Shroud replacement
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
My shroud on my old air conditioner is shot. It is an old unit. I found a replacement shroud for $200 which includes the shipping and taxes. A new air conditioner is $525. Being the old unit is old do you think that it would be better for me to get a new unit as opposed to replacing the shroud? No telling how long the old unit will keep working. The model number on the old unit is a Dometic-Aire SL135R. Is there a better air conditioner that I should look at?

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If all (or most) of the old shroud is there, consider a fiberglas and resin repair.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If it's like mine was after 25 years, the original sections were so brittle that I was unable to get a good bond...pieces just kept snapping off.....

The absolute need to have dependable AC convinced me to just R&R the whole unit...$350 more isn't chicken feed for me, but it's not the national debt either....With a new rotary compressor, I got better cooling, quieter operation and dropped almost 4 amps of draw.....

At the rate I'm going, costs of changes & add-ons will exceed my purchase price within the year....But I'll STILL have a cost-effective and enjoyable toy and far better quality than the fleet of newer sticks-n-staples, plastic-n-glue units out there.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. What type of air conditioner should I be looking for? I'm sure that one brand is better than another. I'm really not wanting to stick a couple hundred dollars into an old unit that is not as good as the new ones.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I have an '88 regal and my rear unit went out this spring. Replaced it with a Carrier Air V. Very easy replacment, can be done in under a half hour -- hardest part was getting the new units up on the roof. The following site has these units and others for sale starting at $400. I actually replaced both units. I put a 13.5k in the rear and a 15k in the living room. Both are quiet and I can run both on 30A shore power

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioner-parts-1.htm

Check eBay -- search for RV A/C -- I found a carrier 13.5k for ~$415 If u purchase one from a dealer make sure you also order the inside assembly -- will cost ~$60 extra and a heat strip is extra.
------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited August 17, 2004).]

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My preference is a three speed fan motor. In high humidity, the coil will ice up at night on low, and high is too noisy, so medium is just right.

Me and Goldilocks.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
hear is another site with free shipping http://www.rvexit.com/default.asp
UPS delivered the unit right to my door. Quick service and helpful. Shipping was a big deal as the other sites wanted $50-$60 to ship to a business or shipping center only, not to your residence

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post