Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator stall
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator stall
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
Hi fellas..I have just finished with the rookie mistake of all rookie mistakes and had to pull my generator to service it. (make a story short, neglected to remove old oil filter rubber gasket which attatched itself to the housing and put on a new oil filter with a new gasket...caused leak.. shorted out starter...i'm an idiot..)anyway, with the generator out,i am able to solve old generator issues like: When my generator is running while the coach is driving, it will shut off when I turn left. Is this common for everyone or is the straw which draws fuel from the tank too short? I climbed under the unit and can see a 90 degree fitting where the fuel line for the generator attatches to the top of the tank. That unit has threads and almost looks like it is welded to the tank itself. I may need to provide pics but does anyone have an answer to this prob off the top of their head? I am guessing when I turn, it creates an air void in the line and the generator dies as the result?..

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It is possible that fuel could slosh away from the suck tube in a turn, but that would be less apparent with a full tank. Does it do that with a full tank?

It could also be a crabby float in the carburetor, or a float level set too low. I have only experienced that on vehicles under hard cornering, but it could possibly happen with your genset.

BTW, you probably need new fuel lines. I prefer some sort of constant-tension clamp, like Corbin. I have seen Oetiker clamps get loose as hose shrunk over the years.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya know Bill it will still stall even with a full tank, just not quite as much. I will check the carb float, and your probably right on the fuel lines which are an easy fix now that the gen is out. thanks for the recommendation.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
it will still stall even with a full tank, just not quite as much

That is curious.

Does it shut off right when the G forces start, or is it a little later?

You don't say what genset you have, but many have a degasser solenoid. Check the wiring to it or disable it and go cornering. A degasser can do an instant shut off, while fuel starvation is a little more gradual.

I am thinking it might not be fuel, though. If the fuel supply were interrupted by either the fuel level dropping below the suck tube or the float valve blocking the fuel inlet, you would most likely see typical lean symptoms, such as popping, surging, etc. You could pinch off the inlet hose and the engine would run normally, then speed up, pop or surge before dying. Perhaps you should do that to familiarize yourself with your particular genset's fuel starvation indications.

Now, then, let's consider ignition or oil level problems:

Put in a little more oil and see what happens.

Something could be cutting off your ignition. On my Kohler, I run a jumper lead from the hot terminal of the start solenoid to the plus terminal of the coil. This eliminates low oil sensor, overheat, frammis/veeblefitzer relays, etc.

There is also the possibility that a wire could be touching ground under the forces generated by a turn.

Cleaning and reseating any relays in your control box is always a good idea, too.

Another approach would be to run a wire from the plus terminal of the coil to a light where you or an observer could see it and drive around a corner. It could even be right outside the genset compartment where it would be visible from inside. Do not attempt to watch it in the mirror while driving and talking on the phone. Smiler

Keep track of the number of left turns you make so you can unwind the Karma wheel when this is all over.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You make a good point about the standard fuel starvation symptoms...there is none at all. But I bet the oil level could have something to do with it. This would be a simple fix and I will try that right away. Btw I have a 7000 watt Kohler. I had to replace the starter and that comes in today at 2:00 p.m. I am using the opportunity to replace my D.c. scene lights with some new updated Whelan Gradient Scene lights. I willl post some pics.

posted Hide Post
Ok..Generator is all better now. I did replace the fuel line while I had her all apart and thoughroly cleaned the generator and surrounding areas due to the mess I created and put in new plugs and filters. I will now attempt to fix the turning stall issue.

posted Hide Post
Ya know I filled up the tank before I decided to start this diagnosis, and then I changed the oil...of course the damn thing wont stall now even if I roll it over on its back. Mabey it is a fuel problem after all. I will be takin her to a Michigan State tailgate with family this weekend and I bet anyone here a dollar that it stalls while I am busy entertaining.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Would serve you right, you 'Spartan'!!
Jim- Class of '60 Ann Arbor

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, looks like I wont be getting a ton of advise from Jim for a while..,

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Of course, you remember that all the good looking women went to Michigan State and the rest went to Michigan. My bride stayed away from both.!!
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you bet! Before I was married I would call it the promised land for foxy chicks but now that I am married, I am scorned for looking at anything but my wife once I cross the East Lansing Border. I have done a lot of work in Ann Arbor this year though and ...mabey I am just getting older, but the girls there look pretty darn good to me...It is getting harder for me to keep my men working steadily over there.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
I hate to bring the thread back to generators, but I learned something this weekend about propane generator engines. IF the plug gap is wider than specified, the generator may backfire through the carburator, and in the case of my Generac V Twin, it makes all kinds of noise and only got better after it warmed up. I reduced the plug gap to .25 thousands and it now starts and runs like a champ! So, if your propane generator is missing, poping through the airfilter and running rough, check the spark plug gaps!

now, any married man knows that there are no women can compare to the beauty of his spouce.....if he wants to maintain a smooth cranium and good hearing. It only took me a couple years to figure this out.

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more Doug..and as a wise man once told me.."a happy wife,..a happy life" a jealous wife would not pan out too well for me I am thinkin Violence

posted Hide Post
Well I ran the tank down to a third and cornered both ways as hard as I ever will and the gen did not even sputter. Confused It did not even shut down when I drove all of my hunting buddies to the bar and was entertaining. Mabey the oil was bad...or something...but as long as it is not broke I will not fix it....untill it breaks.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post