Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Furnace Won't Fire Up
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Furnace Won't Fire Up
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
Okay, I give up. I just had the Stagecoach in for service to replace a furnace blower motor and, when I picked it up yesterday, everything worked great.

Now I can't get the furnaces (3) to start even though all three were running yesterday. I have never used them before so I'm sure this is operator error since the dealership had them running.

I have a full tank of propane and I followed the instructions even though they are a bit vague. The gas switch is on. At the moment, the gen set is running with heat provided by the heat A/C unit strips. the stove top fires right up and so does the refridgerator.

Any ideas?

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check the thermostat switch/es. Usually on the bottom, some are pushed right to turn on, other, to the left.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I checked that, the front and rear furnace both have the on/off switch while the mid-ship furnace does not. I'm wondering if the thermostat for the mid-ship furnace is a replacement since there is a thermostat above it that, although much nicer, it doesn't appear to have power to it.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Are your thermostats "illuminated" i.e. when the switch is turned "on" the face lights up showing "heat", "Fan speed" ...? Does it have a pushbutton selector labeled "mode"? - If so, push it through "fan only", "A/C" or whatever to "Heat".
Is there an override to prevent A/C and Heat simultaneously so all have to be on "heat?
Go back and play with the t-stats again. (You're in snow country now, so the outside temp is low enough to activate heat, non?) Good luck.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
What I'm assuming was the original t-stat does not have power to it but does resemble what you describe. Actually, I'd like to either get that t-stat fixed or replace it with a similar style and ditch the very basic t-stat that appears to have taken its place.

I did shut the overhead heat strips off but it didn't make any difference. I'll go back out and verify I had the front and rear t-stat switches in the correct position. The on/off switch is difficult to read, maybe they were off when I thought they were on but the mid-ship furnace should have been running since it doesn't have the switch.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We have only 2 furnaces. They both have themostats with the on/off switch on the bottom and the temperature slide on the top. Given that the gas is on then by switching to the on position and moving the temp slide to a high enough setting, the furnace ignites. That's all there is to it. It does take a few seconds for the furnace to come on.
Since we both have 1990 Regencys I'm thinkin your's will be the same. Unless they have all been replaced.
Good luck!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I checked again and both switches are in the on position with the temp slide maxed out - nothing. The coach master switch is also in the on position along with the master gas switch.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Next I'd check the 12VDC breakers/fuses. It sounds like the issue is no power to the whole circuit.

The routine for the furnaces is that first the fan comes on, and pushes the sail, which confirms by a microswitch there's airflow through the system. The the ignition circuit is then enabled. If the batteries are low, the fan can't push enough air, and ignition never occurs.

The bottom line is that even without LPG supply, the air handler fan should still come on.

That the systems worked at the dealers and now doesn't, would indicate a gross circuit disconnect. Or a illustration of Wort's Law: "No device will work closer to design specifications than the moment the technician tests for malfunctions."

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"original t-stat does not have power to it but does resemble what you describe..."
This t-stat is cleverly designed so the "on-off" switch, which moves left-->right, is out of sight underneath the front cover. If you've missed it, look below the stat. The stat illuminates/comes on when the lower switch is moved to "on"; otherwise it is opaque.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

That the systems worked at the dealers and now doesn't, would indicate a gross circuit disconnect. Or a illustration of Wort's Law: "No device will work closer to design specifications than the moment the technician tests for malfunctions."

LOL. Who dat Wort? Good law.

It certainly was in force in my career keeping airliners flying. We developed a "ship or shelve program" where a suspected trouble-making part sat on the shelf while, while the airplane flew and was monitored. If a problem reoccured, we put the part back in stock. If the problem stayed away, the part was marked as a confirmed problem, and we would not accept a bench check saying "No Fault Found". We also tracked some problem parts, and found a history of NFFs. They were marked for "special attention". In at least one case, I got the same part back from overhaul with NFF several times, and somehow, it got damaged and sent back for more comprehensive attention.

Sometimes things got so bad that I rode on airplanes flying across the continent, just to be able to trouble-shoot a problem that could not be duplicated on the ground or on the bench. Each succeding generation of airplane has more comprehensive testing, data saving, and real time reporting of data in an attempt to mitigate or minimize the effects of this guy Wort and his Law. Many of the systems can downlink their operating data on command while in flight now.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know where I learned of Wort and his insight, but he surely described a lot of issues.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I believe Rusty hit the nail on the head. On my Regency 36 the 12 volt supply is under the couch. Mine will only run two at a time or it blows the breaker. I just reset it and away I go. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Johns:
I believe Rusty hit the nail on the head. On my Regency 36 the 12 volt supply is under the couch. Mine will only run two at a time or it blows the breaker. I just reset it and away I go. Tom

That's what it was alright. I didn't know there were two sets of circuit breakers under the couch. There is the typical breaker box in plain sight and another that is not so easy to see without kneeling down and looking behind the front frame of the couch.

Not knowing it was there, I took it back to the dealership to have them show me what I was doing wrong or what they had done wrong. During service, they had turned all three on and left them on resulting in the blown breaker.

They also did a leak down test and found two small leaks in my LPG system. They fixed both and sent me on my way, no charge! Nice dealership/service center!

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle