Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    The Noon Stage HELD UP?!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Noon Stage HELD UP?!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
The Stagecoach has finally had it's first real problem that wasn't operator error or easily and cheaply fixed.

I normally bring the Stagecoach out every three weeks to stretch its legs. Today I planned to bring it by the house and then head up Monument Hill to the top of the pass and back. I didn't get very far, it died about a mile from storage. There are a couple of stories that came out of this, one concerning the mechanical problem I'll put up here for comment, the other concerning Emergency Road Service via Good Sam Club that I'll post undeer General Discussions.

The first mechanic showed up and quickly admitted he was not familiar with the 3208TA Cat (If it ain't a Cat, it must be a Dog!). He finally decided it must be the fuel pump and, since it is mounted on top of the fuel tank, the tank would have to be dropped for replacement. It was at this point I thought the noon Stage was being held up being the owner of the Stagecoach, I had several concerns:

1. Was it really the fuel pump or were they going to replace that only to tell me, "it wasn't the fuel pump, lets try the..." I've had that pulled on me once, certainly not twice.

2. I didn't quite see the professionalism I expected, starting with the service truck that showed up - unmarked and in poor condition. If they don't spend any money on their vehicles for normal upkeep or even advertising on the doors, do they buy the right tools to do the job and hire qualified people? How about needed training? I wasn't getting any positive reinforcement. Now they're wanting to tow it to their yard and do the work on Monday. Another concern, their business is heavy haul, not working on a Barth with a Cat pusher. I had put in an "Emergency Roadside Assistance" call to Bill N.Y. for advice and thank-you Bill for calling me back.

3. What else was going to come up once they had my Stagecoach in their possession?

I ended up telling them no offense but NO, it had to go somewhere else. This is still ongoing, even at this late hour. This all began at noon today and, 11 1/2 hours later, the tow truck is just now getting the okay to drop it at the service center that was FINALLY agreed to with ERS from the Good Sam Club. It's late so I'll have to go into that tomorrow. I didn't see the service call for the two mechanics that showed up but they were with the coach for almost four hours. The tow bill came to $787.50 so I imagine the total was over $1000 and the work hasn't even begun yet. I am expecting the repair to be quite a bit less but, if this isn't an excellent example of why we should have emergency road service, i don't know what is.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
acess to the fuel tank i have acess thru the inside of coach!!!!!!! above the tank have a hatch!well running the 3208 in my coach would like to know ur problem other than sams sounds like its not for emergencys!

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
found this on wanderlodge forum: A-2) The fuel system can be switched on by removing the solenoid and pulling up on the "fuel on" lever should the solenoid fail. It will have to be shut down by pushing on the same lever. Have this repaired by your local Caterpillar dealer

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
They found a wire had broken off inside the solenoid. I'm having the solenoid and both fuel filters replaced.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post