Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    no power to coach or dash
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

no power to coach or dash
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug and Tanya Olson
posted
Stuck in Wyoming, mechanics not sure what the problem is. The furnace was blowing cold air so we plugged in 2 heaters, while also using the tv and satellite. My wife used the microwave and all power went out. Unable to even get power to dash, coach won't start. Batteries ok'd by mechanic. Any thoughts?

Posts: 4 | Location: Aptos, CA / Fort Lupton, CO | Member Since: 12-13-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
With storms coming your way, heat would definitely be nice. Sky and I both have Regency's similar to yours and I have had a problem with no heat. Try turning the LPG Detector off and back on again. My tech held a matchless lighter to the burner for about 15 seconds and the burner finally lit. The tech might have had nothing to do with it lighting, check here for more ideas about the heating issue.

Concerning the no power issue, I'll let the others weigh in here since it could be a number if issues.

Where in Wyoming are you?

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stuck in Laramie. Multiple mechanics have looked at the coach but without success. We don't get any power to the coach or to the dash. The engine won't crank either. Not sure what to do. Thanks for your post.

Posts: 4 | Location: Aptos, CA / Fort Lupton, CO | Member Since: 12-13-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Chevy, Ford, Dodge, John Deere, Gillig, Spartan, Oshkosh, Freightliner, Iveco, Pierce, International, or Hendricks chassis?

On Edit: Oops! I shoulda checked the profile.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Their profile says "Monaco." I thought they were all Gillig or Spartan.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to sound alarmist but, do you have access to a hotel if the problem can't be corrected soon? About two hours ago, the bad weather was about 100 miles west of you moving east.

Once the weather moves in, it will become increasingly harder to find someone to work on it. Once the really bad stuff moves in, the available rooms will all be gone when they close the highways down.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Unable to even get power to dash, coach won't start. Batteries ok'd by mechanic.."
1) You don't have coach OR chassis power? That's really odd. Two different sets of battery power out?
Are you sure? Were you on battery power at the time? shore? generator?
2) Your inverter should have a fuse (not breaker); check in the inverter compartment and see if the cables are "fused"; may be like a fusible link, inline on the cable with a hard plastic shield. See if you have power on both sides of the "fuse". Does your inverter have a small fuse or breaker on the case?
3) Re-check ALL the breakers, esp the main. Turn each off firmly (hard) then firmly on.
4) Do you have a "disconnect" for coach and chassis: a button/toggle/rocker switch up front, with a red indicator light? If so, be sure each is on. (You probably don't have this)

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check the remote start switch in the rear engine compartment. It is easy to trip when a mechanic or owner opens the door and looks around. I did this and learned the hard way. Two days of tracing wires only to find I had bumped the switch. If it looks right switch it anyway and see what happens.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Do you have power to your electric panel (left front outside door)? If no power there, trace the cables from the batteries to that point. Good luck.

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your fantastic suggestions. We spent 3 days in Laramie, Wyoming in a motel while mechanics of all sorts pondered over the wiring. The solution was actually expensive to trace, and totally embarrassing. It turned out to be breakers on the generator. I didn't even know we had them there! After the breakers were reset, we were on our happy way. We hit serious snow and ice, but that's another story!