Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Southco Compartment Locks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Southco Compartment Locks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
One of our outside compartment locks went south (couldn't help the pun!)so will likely order a bunch of new ones from the supplier in Minneapolis; ... but first had questions.
After seaching the Barthmobile archives and looking on the Southco site I guess we need lock #E3-35-35 and it says it uses key #E3-5-35.
The original Southco keys for our Barth have a different number. It is mostly unreadable due to the hole punched in it for the key ring but the part that is readable says ***-715-15.
So, .. will I end up with 2 different compartment keys if I don't redo ALL 17! outside locks at once?
Wondered what others have found out about replacing their Southco locks??
Thanks in advance for any help.
Don

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
If you replaced all of your locks with the new ones, you could probably sell the old ones now and then to somebody else that has one go bad and doesn't want to change them all out. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I think the proper replacement key number is: E3-5-15 for the E3-35-35.

I found no difference from the old key / latches to the new key / latches.

The "715" number looks familiar to what I remember from my original key, as well, but do not have a copy of the original in front of me at present.

The only thing I remember was you would need to purchase different mounting screws. This was all posted a few years back if I remember correctly.

You might be able to get the place in Bloomington, MN to send you a sample key and latch so you can check it out. I think I remember getting a couple free keys and a latch from them.

Bloomington is one of the next cities over from where I am located, so I just picked them up from will-call.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Actually, I think you need to contact SouthCo directly to request some free samples...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post