Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted
My Onan generator appears to be listing to the front (left). I can see two rubber mounts at the back (right) under the motor section but can not see under the generator on the other end to see any mounts. Should the generator sit level in the compartment? How many mounts should there be?

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The front two mounts will be inside your fan shroud. From the pic it appears you have a rusted through cross beam under the floor. Crawling under the comaprtment should reveal the weak area. The genrator should be level.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
. My Onan generator appears to be listing to the front (left)

Glad you posted that picture of your generator because I am wondering the same. My generator leans the same way in fact that picture looks exactly like mine. I'm thinking that can't be right for the generator to lean like that, I'm thinking it needs to be level. So I'm curious to see what feedback you get.

Tom

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Whoa matey, she's listing to port! There should be 4 rubber mounts and sitting level. It will be difficult to check oil level correctly and your oil consumption may be higher when tilted. My rig has a Kohler genset so it isn't identical but I would agree with Tom K that something has damaged the support below, ie corrosion or vibration. Interesting to note that T&L's is similar...

You will probably have to repair the gen base. A base plate patch and a new mounting rail will likely be needed. Not sure if you can just tip it back up and repair. You may have to remove the genset to get to it. Since we have 2 current examples I'll bet this isn't the first time. Maybe someone has pics of a previous encounter. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Nothing appears to be rusted away. There is a mounting plate between the drawer and the generator. The plate has a hump under the right side where the rubber mounts are. There is no hump on the left where the generator is listing. When I tried jacking the left side up it raised the mounting plate so something is still attaching the generator to the plate.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Tom, in my parts manual it shows isolator mounts between the drip pan and the cast oil pan. The drip pan is bolted stait to the sliding base. The generator angles down towards the front
but the fan housing looks almost 90 deg. from the base. Try prying up between oil pan and drip pan.

Doorman.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If you look at where the specs are on the side, they look almost parallel with the base. I'm not sure yours is tilted that bad.

Doorman

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I can't keep my two cents out of this but, looking at the picture the left edge of the base apprears to be at least 1 inch lower that the right which could be about the size of a vibration da mpening bushing. I would venture that if you look closely at the top of those bolts on the left that you will see about 1 inch slack. Enough for the missing bushings.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post

Thought I would post a picture of my leaning generator. The base plate on mine has a sage in the middle plus someone added a piece of angle iron to the front support. My winter project will be to remove the generator and rebuild the base plate and slides. I think for now I'm going to add two vibration pads between the generator and base plate, see if that will level if off some and damped the vibration. The left side does not currently have any vibration mounts while the right side has two that are in good shape.

Oops I posted the link instead of the picture!

Tom

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
You cannot see the left side isolators. they sit at an angle between the base drippan and the cast oil pan. The mounting bolts into the oil pan come thru the base drip pan. the genny has to be removed from the sliding tray to get to them.

Doorman

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
posted Hide Post

Well, I'm still learning. One photo wasn't enough for me -- had to download the WHOLE thing. But if you open the site, you will see the Onan Emerald I 4.5 Kw in our 1989 Regal 25. The photo's not from a good angle, but you can still see that the genset slopes down to the left. For some reason it was designed that way. Looking closely at TJ's and Tom's photos, it looks like they're pretty much the same slope, and TJ's is probably okay.

Why the hair dryer? That 20 year old genset saved our butts twice, once for a 2 day power outage after the backlash of hurricane Ike hit us in 2008, and again for a 3 day outage after the ice storm of 2009. A horde of extension cords kept our refrigerator and freezer going, and we eventually added lights, TV's and computer gear, as well as the furnace after the ice storm. It was cold. How cold was it? The genset engine couldn't generate enough heat to keep the carb from icing, hence the hair dryer. It was getting down close to 10 degrees at night and warming up to the 20's by day. We loved our Barth!

Bill Beard
Barth Owner Emeritus (three times)
1978 24' 454 Chevy
1988 Regal 28' 454 Chevy
1989 Regal 25' 454 Chevy

Posts: 25 | Location: Evansville, IN | Member Since: 11-15-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
and freezer

quote:
kept our refrigerator and freezer

with 10 deg. at night and 20 deg in day ...why? computer and furnace essential.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
quote:
and freezer

quote:
kept our refrigerator and freezer

with 10 deg. at night and 20 deg in day ...why? computer and furnace essential.
My wife likes it comfortable. With furnace running, house (including R & F) was at about 72 deg. Freezer was not so critical if we kept the door shut. I tried it and it worked okay; only problem would be the unlikely possibility of both the R & F compressors starting at the same time. I was amazed at how much stuff we had running on a 15 amp circuit. And, yes, it has reached the point where the computer is almost as critical as the furnace.

Bill Beard
Barth Owner Emeritus (three times)
1978 24' 454 Chevy
1988 Regal 28' 454 Chevy
1989 Regal 25' 454 Chevy

Posts: 25 | Location: Evansville, IN | Member Since: 11-15-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
From what I am getting from everyone I might not have a problem with it. If I get a chance this weekend I will unbolt the drip pan/ mounting plate from the sliding drawer and raise the generator to see what the mounts look like.
Thanks for all the input.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3