Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Exhaust Manifold
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Exhaust Manifold
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Well---I went to install the Pyrometer today and was getting ready to take off the turbo exit pipe to weld on the thermocouple bung---what is that black on the side of the manifold??? Uh oh,--- yup a crack!!! Grrrrrrr!

Off to the Cummins shop to pick up a new manifold and all the trimmings, bolts gaskets etc. There have been two revisions of the manifold since my engine was manufactured and material has been changed. Maybe they found that the original material was prone to cracking?

I had noticed a line on the manifold before but thought it was a casting mark because there was no tell tail evidence of carbon around the line. Well now there is so obviously it is getting bigger. Probably could have run it quite a bit longer but I don't want the turbo to fall off or a failure on the road. Pictures later.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Turbodoc
posted Hide Post
Dear Ed:

How's the manifold swap going?

Did you put an amateur radio station inside your motor home? I'm running an Icom IC-718 with a Comet Vertical.

Larry A. Barry DDS
2006 Tiffin Zephyr
NV5I

Posts: 59 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Larry:
Got the old manifold out and the new one back on and still had time to get the tarp over the Barth before we got swamped yesterday and today, over 7 inches of rain in the last 24 hours!

The manifold exchange took 2 hours and wasn't as bad as I anticipated, I had replaced the exhaust gaskets 25K miles ago because I had one blown out when I received the Barth and replace the bolts at that time so they were fresh, I was worried about the 4 nuts that hold the turbo but they came right off with no issue.

I have a complete station in the Barth that I use for my activities as staff member for several open road racing groups. We set up a closed net to handle traffic concerning the road race. The course can be as long as 90 miles so we have 12+ "hams" set up at 10 mile intervals and keep track of the cars as they go down course.

I have an IC-706 MKII G along with a Yaesu 8900. For low bands I have a 32 foot home brew vertical and a AH4 antenna tuner and VHF/UHF a series of antennas. The Barth being all aluminum make a reasonable ground plane.

More on the manifold later.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
When I take a photo while driving 70mph at 2100 RPM I steer with my knees and use both hands on the camera.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HeHe, I thought that would draw a comment or two!

Was actually my wife taking the picture, She had the camera at my right ear. I was thinking about how the dash was laid out and wanted a picture or two to stare at to see if I could change things around abit. Will be adding a pyro, boost and trans temp gauge next week.

That was actually 75 at about 2100, at 70 it is about 1920+/-. Once I get out of CA and the rally bad roads here, I am usually at the speed limit, this was in Nevada just before Wendover.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,

I have a 33 foot breakaway with the same engine and tranny. I need the part number of the solenoid that connects to the cruise control. Could you help me out?

Thanks,

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post