Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Generator Shut Down
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Generator Shut Down
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
After 7 years my faithful Kohler/Kabota 7kw diesel generator has started giving me problems. It ran perfect for the Taledaga race back in Nov 2013 but suddenly stops running during warm ups now. It starts fine, runs for about 5 mins and stops. Will start back up but run only for about a min and stop again and will repeat this cycle several times. My owners manual suggest several things but the most likely seems to be either a low oil pressure cutoff or a high temp sensor cutoff. I have not bled the fuel line since it just ran perfect a few months back but did blow out the air filter to no avail.

Oddily the run solenoid was not mentioned in the list of culprits on the trouble shooting list.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure where to start or who to call.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Does it have it's own fuel filter?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is even applicable but my genset has its own fuel line from the tank and the pick-up is around the 1/4 full level. Genny quits before leaving me stranded on that tank. How much fuel is in the tank?

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
The fuel filter was just replaced and the main fuel tank is over half full. It doesn't act like a fuel problem because it will start right back up after stopping.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Problem solved, looks like I got lucky! The engine block was low on water due to a small leak on the lower radiator hose. The overflow tank never went down and the temp gage on the dash never showed that it was hot but I suspect that the 'high temp shutdown sensor' was mounted low on the block and picking up a hot spot -- thus shutting down the generator. The leak was hidden on the backside of the hose at a spot where it had been zip tied to a bracket. Now it runs fine.

And I never did find a source of parts or help for Kohler in MS. Their service system stinks!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis