Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dometic 3 way fridge
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dometic 3 way fridge
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Darryl & Kathy Smith
posted
I have a 93 Breakaway with a Dometic fridge that will no longer select the 12v option. When ac is not available it goes straight to gas. Any ideas?

Former Breakaway owners

Posts: 59 | Location: michigan | Member Since: 11-21-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
On ours, there is an on/off switch for the DC. Is yours turned on?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes the switch is in the correct position. Thanks

Former Breakaway owners

Posts: 59 | Location: michigan | Member Since: 11-21-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you have DC power to the fridge? Maybe a fuse, etc? head bang

My frig has only 110 AC and gas... I think I may have some documents for it that may cover DC also... hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There will be 2 electric elements - one for 120 VAC, the other for 12 VDC. Check the connections to the 12V one. If they're good,check the resistance with it disconnected. Resistance should be ~0.5-1.0 ohm.

If the element is open or shorted, the control board won't switch.

Finally, note that if you're using the "auto" feature, the order is AC, LPG, 12 VDC. If the CB senses and can light propane, it won't switch to 12V.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it has 12 volts. As I understand it there is a sensor that can tell when the battery is being charged & will only allow the fridge to run on 12 v dc when charging occurs. I am thinking this might be the problem but
i dont know how to check for it.

Former Breakaway owners

posted Hide Post
Ok I will try to test the 12 volt element. With gas shut off & engine running & selector set on auto the fridge goes into failure mode

Former Breakaway owners

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darryl Kathy Smith:
I have a 93 Breakaway with a Dometic fridge that will no longer select the 12v option. When ac is not available it goes straight to gas. Any ideas?
according to our to your statement,when ac is not available it goes straight to gas,is what my dometic does,as it is supposed to.wally vanisle.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I understand it there is a sensor that can tell when the battery is being charged & will only allow the fridge to run on 12 v dc when charging occurs.

Not quite - it has a low-voltage sensor that shuts off the 12 VDC if the battery's low.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Ours only run on 12V with the engine running.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Are you able to tell-us which fridge you have with model number.

Can you supply a photo?

Photo of the control board.

Photo of the eyebrow.

I have recently replaced both the control board and eyebrow in mine.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Don't want to thread wander but Medic did you get everything working after your overload.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1388 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, it is a Dometic model RM4804. On this model the selection process is AC first, DC second (if engine is running) then gas.

Former Breakaway owners

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Ours was a Dometic Royale but the model# went with the new owner. First selection was automatic (1st AC if hooked up or genset, 2nd choice gas and 3rd 12V if engine running), second selection was A/C or gas and third button gas only. ALSO 30 MIN time delay to light gaas after running engine.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Brain pfart - my Norcold will run on 12 VDC without the engine running; it has low-voltage cutout.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke