Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Carburetor ?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Carburetor ?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm having trouble keeping my 460 running. There's a button on the steering column. I depress the button for about 30 seconds. this activates the rear fuel pump to pump fuel from the rear to the motor. I depress the gas pedal to engage the choke. She starts up but only runs for a few minutes and then stalls. Won't hold an idle. I can get her to start but she won't run for long.
Does it sound like to lean or to rich ? Something wrong with the choke ? She had only been sitting for 2or 3 weeks.

jack !!!

------------------
jack !!!

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a weak fuel pump, but a fuel pressure gauge might help verify this problem. I installed an inline fuel pressure gauge near the carb. using rubber fuel line. A Summit brand (cheapest)liquid filled fuel pressure gauge can be bought at Summit Racing for around $25. You will need the 0-15 psi gauge. You should have 3-5 psi of fuel pressure at the carb.

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Eddie, I'm with you on the fuel pressure gauge. They can really help trouble shoot.

I once had a car drive me crazy until I put on a gauge to track things down. Now I have one on every vehicle. I use a braided steel line to the cockpit. The fitting in the engine compartment is soldered shut, then drilled with a #80 drill. That way, if there is a failure, only a little gasoline gets in the cockpit. An isolator is sold for this purpose, also, but it is pricey. I made my own for the last MH, but haven't got to it yet for Barth.

For temporary trouble shooting, a cheap vacuum gauge usually has a fuel gauge function.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I had this same problem on my 1991 460. There is 2 solenoids located behind the right side headlight. 1 solenoid is for the ECM and the other is for the Fuel pump. Replace both solenoids.
These solenoids fall out of there holder and swing upside down while allowing water into them. If you pull them out to inspect you will see corrosion inside of the plug and base of solenoid.
Before installing the new ones clean off the corrosion at the plug with emery cloth. Install both solenoids with dielectric grease and make sure they are mounted straight up. This will allow any water to run off.
Good luck and let us know how you made out.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for you replys Eddie, bill h, and Bill. Do you all have the same prime button mounted on your steering columns ? Yesterday we bypassed this switch and now the fuel pump engages when the ignition key is in the on position. If the switch is normal for Barths I would rather change it back to the way it was originally.

jack and daiva
1988 31 ft Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jack, mine doesn't have the bypass switch or oil pressure switch. I will probably do it sometime, as it is a safety consideration.
My Jag has an impact switch that shuts off the electric fuel pump on a hard impact. Good idea, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I just installed carpet in the front area and do not remember seeing any "primer button" on the steering shaft or firewall. I have heard of an impact switch that trips in the event of an accident but do not know if this was offered on your motorhome.

On my 460 the electric fuel pump only runs for a few seconds and then shuts off. It starts pumping again when I crank it or when the engine is running. I do not know if there is a pressure cutoff switch or if the ECM controls run time if the motor is not running.

My 1991 460 is not a carburetor but is a multi port fuel injector design.

------------------

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Bill. Does your multi-port fuel injector get better fuel economy than a carburetor would ?
jack and daiva
1988 31ft barth regal

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have had an 1985 460 carb on an F-350 service truck and a 1988 460 multi-port fuel injector on another service truck. The carb got about 1 less mpg and had less pulling power.

I guess you had an early model 460 with a carb or I had a later model 460 with fuel injector. Could your drivetrain be a 1987?

Bill N.Y.

------------------

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Bill
Im not certain if the drivetrain is 1987 or not or how to determine this. Out of curiosity I wonder if converting from carburation to fuel injection would be extremely costly or even worthwhile.
jack and daiva
1988 31ft barth regal