Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator from hell
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator from hell
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
My Kohler propane generator developed a short which caused the starter to turn continuously to the point where it started to small. I disconnected all the batteries, then disconnected the hot lead from the generator. Problem solved, sort of. Anyone know if parts are still available for this beast? It runs great but it is 20 years old.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
maybe these guys?

http://www.jdpowerequipmentinc...service/services.htm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 on my boat has a born date of winter 1967,(it runs really well) I have no problem finding parts at the Kohler dealer. Most problems are dealing with the dealer.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
My Kohler propane generator ..............

What is the model number?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
It's a 7cckm liquid propane. I can hear the starter spinning but it doesn't engage until I push the start button. I'm wondering if it's worth putting money into a 20 year old kohler.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Mine did something similar a couple of years ago. The starter mounts are part of the engine crankcase and broke. Solution was only to replace cast aluminum crankcase. Instead I fabricated a starter mount that bolted to the bottom of crankcase....took some red neck ingenuity but it works and saved a 200 hour generator....if happened to I'll take pics

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
my problem is that the starter spins because it is getting 12 volts to it before i push the starter button. Unless i disconnect the 12 volt positive lead. it will continue to spin. What could make the motor turn even though I am not pushing the start button?

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Could the controller be the cause of my problem????

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The symptoms point to a sticky/stuck starter solenoid. The solenoid when activated pulls in and closes a high-current contact that activates the starter motor itself. The solenoid (on some engines) also mechanically engages the starter pinion gear with the engine ring gear.

I don't think the controller is involved, because it has to sense the engine has started.

Removing and cleaning the solenoid internals might be the key.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Could this also be called the starter switch? Can't find a solenoid anywhere on the parts list.

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
It IS the starter switch. When I tap on it with a hammer handle, the symptoms go away. So now I need to find a starter solenoid in Moose Jaw NB. Wish me luck!

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Got it the part number is napa st404 for the heavy duty.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad it was something simple! mechanic

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
It only took 2 hours to put 4 screws in. No room to work!

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Moose Jaw NB???

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post