Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dropping fuel tank
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dropping fuel tank
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sandytoes
posted
Oh yeah, another thought. I'll need to drop the fuel tank to replace the sending unit. Does anyone have any recommendations based on experience to pass on to me. Shouldn't be a big deal but you never know.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this is useful as well, if you have a Chevrolet chassis with a 454:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/7263975367/p/2

Using blocks of 2x4s and cargo straps can help make this a one man job. Get some plywood on the ground also to make it easier to slide the tank out.

If you pull the tank it is also a good idea to replace the fuel filler hoses.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 529 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a small ATV lift that's been handy for dropping the fuel tanks on the van, and installing the genset gaso tank and the generator itself on the Barth.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I removed the front & rear gas tank. These are pics of front tank removal. The fuel lines were all replaced with marine grade fuel lines per Rustys suggestion.

We had the sending unit sent off & refurbed on rear tank. This is the before, can't find the after pic.
New ones seem to have a lot of plastic on them these days.
Front as you can see from pics was not removed. Our fuel line was leaking when the tank was filled to top & had to drop tank to fix.

Front tank had no rust issues, rear tank had some rust spots inside & we shipped it to Roppel in kentucky to have it properly recoated inside. about $250. Only did inside not out side.

If I can find pics of rear tank removal I'll send them. 2 straps on bot tanks, fuel filler hose can be tricky on both, rear tank had an upper side fill hose & we couldn't find a replacement if we had wanted new. Front tank 30 gal, rear tank 40 gal.

Used a floor jack with some plywood to lower tanks, was a bit of a balancing act but it worked fine. Putting back in took some tweaking. there was only about a 3/4" clearance between the floor above & the top of the tank.

If you can see the slide show below there are good pictures of the fuel tank selector too.

http://s256.photobucket.com/us...Gas%20tank%20removal

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Great info and guides. Thanks everyone.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post