Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winter
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
The storage barn has a good concrete floor and owner ask if I wanted to store with levelers down or up? Anyone leave yours up or down ? Please vote and vote often , like we do in Chicago. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I have heard that even the dead have been known to vote there.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
IMHO, on a level concrete floor run the jacks down to level the rig, & relieve the tension on the springs & tires. If you want to go for overkill, put boards under the tires to keep 'em off the concrete. At least it won't hurt anything.

Years ago I parked a car in my carport, a foreign orphan that didn't move for 2 years from lack of parts. The section of tires in contact with the concrete developed sidewall cracks while the rest of tire did not. Was it because they were flexed, or because they were in contact with the concrete? I don't know, but it happened.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My 20 year old coach doesn't have levelers and I can't think of any negative effects attributed to that deficiency. With the exception of my wife getting up before me on a trip.

My coach sits under 2 feet of snow every year on class V limestone. I have stacked some wood and carpet under the front tires and some of the big rubber mats under the rear. It is plugged in all winter, other than that and blowing out the water lines, no special handling. Looks good and starts every spring. I have had my coach 6 years

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm with Roy on raising, or at least unloading the tires as much as possible. I believe sidewall bulge caused the cracking Roy mentions. I believe concrete is bad because it allows moisture to work its way into the rubber and degrade the steel belt material unless things are really dry. Vinyl mat would help prevent that.

All tire manufacturers do not agree, but here is what Goodyear says:

" Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service"
------------------------------------------

I would add here that if your jacks or levelers will lift the tires off the ground, there is no need to increase pressure, as the sidewalls are not flexed.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Shadow Man; They often vote more than once as needed by Da Mayor. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post