Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Broken Pleated Shade Can it be repaired?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Broken Pleated Shade Can it be repaired?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
In my 94 Regency, my neices have accidentally pulled too hard on one side of the pleated curtain and broke the cord on the opposite side. This is on one of the small windows next to the door that is a 32"x33" size. My curtains have two cords on each side that are anchored at the bottom and one has broken at the anchor and been pulled out of the curtain. The manafacturer is EDI in Elkhart Ind.

Is it practical to repair one of these or just order a replacement? Is EDI still around?

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I have repaired two, and it is time-consuming. Take it down, and place it -open, or extended- on a bed. The bottom channels slide off "sideways" exposing the strings which are crossed left and right inside the channels -look carefully cause it is confusing. However: tie the strings back together, or replace, and pull them back through the channels and it is done. The worst that will happen is you can't fix it and you have a shade that won't work - which is what you have now.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gunner. I 'll give the repair a shot. I did notice however, that my top and bottom channels have been glued in place to the curtain making removal harder. Maybe with a little tender loving care, I can break the seal.

Thanks again.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Susan has rethreaded several of ours with ocean braided dacron fishline. Not too bad.

I will send a diagram to you later today. Anyone else is welcome to a copy on request.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,

I tried to email to your AOL address, but it didn't go through. I would also like a copy of your diagram.

Thanks, Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill G:
bill h,

I would also like a copy of your diagram.

Thanks, Bill G

You've got mail.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I was able to repair the curtain pretty much the way "Gunner" described the procedure. I did replace the broken cord with another from a busted blind in my house and it worked well.
The diagram that Bill h referred to would probably be helpful to others because the routing of the cords is kind of tricky. For example: the cords criss cross in the bottom rail where they exit. The right cord from the top rail runs down through the curtain, enters the bottom rail and then exits on the left side of the bottom rail.

Another tricky thing I ran into was the cord anchor in the wall near the bottom rail. It's a yo yo looking rig with a slot for the cord. You must first remove the yo yo from the wall with one phillips screw and them separate the sides to expose the slot for the cord. I did this with two pairs of pliers --- carefully. Then you can tie a knot in the cord and insert it into the slot. You must adjust the tension on the cord by twisting the yo yo and winding up the cord --- then tighten the phillips screw.

You had to be there ---

Any way, I hope this helps others who experience the same problem.

Good luck!!!!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My own preference is to replace the plastic yo-yo with a metal sewing machine bobbin. Then I tie the new strings fairly tight around the bobbin. I adjust it tighter as needed by wapping an extra turn or two around the bobbin.