Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator Oil Fill
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator Oil Fill
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jer711
posted
Is it me or does the 1990 Onan Generator have two oil fill locations? Appears one located at top center and other is lower front right corner looking at it from the top (inside of coach). It appears this one is located right above filter.

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a manual, perhaps you can get the PDF here:
http://www.cumminsonanstore.com/

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
Can't seem to find what model I have to search it. It seems odd that there would be two fill openings but it seems the the tech at Speedco who did the lube and oil changes right when I bought it mentioned that to me (along with a long list of proposed items to repair/check etc)

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
so can anyone confirm or advise if the 1990 Onan Generator would have two oil fill locations? I am using quite a bit of oil (1/3 to 1/2 qt every 4-6 hours of operation). The unit is not smoking and I do not find any puddles underneath. There is some oil and road grime under, but it is 21 years old.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although I can't speak to your Onan, many small horizontal-shaft engines have two oil fills. Both my Honda-powered pressure washer and my B&S-powered backup generator have two. This arrangement sounds a bit strange, but it allows flexibility in the design of devices it may power.

The oil consumption is very high. Lack of smoke tends to indicate leakage through the valve guides. Many times they can be knurled and rebored to stop the leakage.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer711:
Can't seem to find what model I have to search it.
What is the engine model designation?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
I was just looking down at my onan 7.5 and it has two just as you discribe one in the top middle of the valve cover and the second in the front right. They do this for ease of maint. like in our cases we would fill from the valve cover, if this genset were in a side compartment you would use the one on the side. The filters are also located on that side. I have to add what a neat little unit they are, little 3cly. baby genie in my big Baby Baby!

Had to do it Big Grin

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
little 3cly. baby genie

Wharf, is yours a diesel also?

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
quote:
little 3cly. baby genie

Wharf, is yours a diesel also?

Yes it is a diesel, nice looking setup has 2330hrs on the clock and runs good nice and quiet too. (knock on wood)

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes it is a diesel

Your unit is VERY similar to mine.... I also have that 3 cyl. Kuboto and an 8.2 DD in a 1985 35' Regency.... I also have in my possesion a few shop manuals for those two engines.... If you need to know any tech data on them just send a PM.....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
so where is all my generator oil going? While sitting, there is no evidence of an oil leak (no puddles anywhere). While running, after 4-6 hours, the oil pressure drops significantly and after checking oil, it is way low. But again, looking underneath, no evidence of a leak. Also, no visible signs of burning oil - no smoking, smell of oil etc from the generator exhaust. Tech who fixed the bad wire causing overheat warned me of a leak. If it is leaking while running down the road, I assume it has left almost no visible sign of much oil on bottom of pan or surrounding frame. Gennie has less than 1200 hours and recent oil/filter change, but ran several hours before this past trip and big drop in oil pressure. Thoughts?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
A diesel engine will often times show no visual signs using oil as it will treat the oil the same as fuel. Sounds like either a broken oil ring(s) or as Rusty said bad valve guides are letting excess oil into the combustion chamber

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
can these types of repairs be made without removing the generator?

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer711:
Tech who fixed the bad wire causing overheat warned me of a leak... Thoughts?
Why did the tech warn you of a leak? He must have seen an external leak... right?

I still don't know what engine model you have.

Oil can seep in and burn from many places without your knowledge. Your best bet would be to pay for a proper diagnosis from someone who works on the diesel Onan Generators.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post