Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Generator wouldn't start.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Generator wouldn't start.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
On our last trip I was running the Generator so that we could use the roof top A/C units while we were on the road. As I pulled into the driveway the generator quit running and would not restart. I had recently had trouble starting it and replaced the fuel filter and got it running. I thought that may be the problem this time and removed the filter again. I noticed that the filter was only about 1/2 full of fuel. I doubled checked the fuel level in the tank because I know that the generator won't run when the tank gets down to about 1/4 full. Fuel gauge indicated 3/4 tank and the odometer showed only 250 miles on that tank of fuel.

I figured it must be the fuel pump or it was sucking air from someplace in the line. I removed the inlet line to the pump and placed a hose in a fuel can of diesel and tried the pump. (On my coach you can activate the pump by depressing the Preheat switch.) Nothing. Removed the pump and made my regular trip to NAPA with old pump in hand. Got one of these?

$150.00 later the new pump is installed and generator is running like a champ. Just a little shocked. Couldn't imagine the pump costing that much.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Nick, that looks pretty much like mine did... Mine quit after replacing the filter (actually it coulda quit anytime before that as removing the filter allowed air into the system) I bought a new one from Cummins it was $130.... I thought they were just proud of thier parts and I'm surprised your cost so much from a parts dealer...
Glad it worked!!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Hey Nick: I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought a diesel electric pump for $52.00 for the same reason and it has been fine ever since. I can look up the model and stuff if you want to return the NAPA one.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case others need the same: see this http://www.mr-gasket.com/Produ...ion=6&minselection=1

It works fine for $49.99

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"MICRO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP-DIESEL

12-volt electric diesel fuel transfer pump is safe for diesel fuel use. Simple 2 wire design, self priming, includes 100 micron in line filter. 4-7psi 35GPH, small universal design allows easy set and installation anywhere. Solid state worry free electronics, 12 volt negative ground systems only. *NOT FOR FUEL INJECTED APPLICATIONS*"

Must be only for the older carburetted diesels...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO. This is a transfer pump to the generator fuel pump. It cannot be the injector pump but it is only sucking fuel from the tank to the low pressure inlet side of the generator fuel pump.