Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Quik-teck question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Quik-teck question
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Oil capacity of a 454 with filter change?

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it makes any differance on year of motor, but my 1978 takes 7 U.S. quarts.

Posts: 46 | Location: Parksville British Columbia | Member Since: 02-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Six quarts plus whatever the filter(depends on filter) and oil cooler(if installed) use. The big filters are about a quart.

May I recommend a filter?

AC PF-35L

Five cent version: It is a good filter.

Five dollar version:

The AC PF-35L heavy-duty spin-on oil filter can replace any PF-25 or PF-35 filter on 1968 up Chevrolet V8 engines. It has a 100% synthetic element that is rated at 12 microns. Its synthetic glass filter media provides finer filtration than conventional cellulose (paper) filters. The individual strands of synthetic glass used in the PF35L are smaller and more consistent in size than cellulose fibers. These glass fibers are supported by a polyester sheet laminated on both sides, and the pleated synthetic filter element is backed by a metal screen.

This extremely efficient filter can reduce engine wear by 75% compared to conventional filters without restricting the flow of oil.This is the same diameter oil filter as the PF25 (standard 350 ci engine) filter, except it is longer. The standard one filters down to 30 microns, which means any particles 29 microns or smaller will continue to circulate. The PF35L has synthetic filter element which filters down to 12 microns which means 11 microns or smaller is the circulating chunk size.

From Terry Quinn:The following information is not specific to the PF35L, but I'm hoping that it applies. > A few years ago, we were working with a filter manufacturer that was promoting synthetic (glass fiber) powertrain oil filters. They had extensive data on the difference between that type of filter and a conventional paper filter.� While the synthetic filter is rated for smaller particle collection, that is not the only significant advantage. When filters are rated, they frequently do a so-called "multi-pass" test. I don't remember all the particulars, but contaminated oil is circulated through the filter, under constant flow, a number of times, and the amount of particle removal or collection (cannot remember which way it is tested) after a specified number of passes, determines the micron rating. All the dirt is not removed in one pass. This standard steady state test, with a constant flow, does not tell the whole story, however. What this filter company demonstrated was that when a filter is subjected to pressure or flow surges (such as when starting with cold oil, or even as the flow changes), the filter media will flex. Paper media will then tend to release some of the contaminants back into the flow stream, in a process termed "desorption The standard multipass test will not show this to be a problem, but the release of the contaminants was very significant, and negated much of the advantage of the filtration. The glass fiber media was much more resistant to desorption than the paper media. It also took out more of the contamination in the first pass. But was also considerably more expensive. My employer, Caterpillar, then co-developed a filter with a patented spiral wrap strap around the media to prevent flexing and desorption. So, lacking the ability to use a Caterpillar filter (I don't yet have one of our 10.2 liter diesels in my 93 T/A :-), I'm using the PF35Ls with great confidence that they will make a big difference in engine life.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I like the AC and Purolator products too. I knew not to screw that Fram on there!
Appreciate the recommendation.

[This message has been edited by ron (edited December 14, 2003).]

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post