Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regal rear rotors?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regal rear rotors?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sandytoes
posted
Do I have to pull my axles to remove my rotors for turning? I just had a quick look before the rain came. If so, what do I need to know to remove, re-install. Are the planetary gears in the rearend going to drop? I did a search, couldn't find any info.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Determine your chassis and search under that name. Spartan, GM, etc. Add a picture or two and we may be able to help. BTW, just because the pads or shoes are worn or there is a lip on the rotor does not mean you have to turn them. If they are smooth with no deep gouges they will still work fine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Remove wheels , remove, calipers, remove axles(they just slide out). remove locking tab washer 2 nuts spacer, bearing and remove rotor. they are heavy. you will lose some rear end oil out the housing. Clean well and install new seals before re- installing.

Nothing is going to fall out in your rear end when you pull your axles.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
There is some variation in rear axles, ie Chev, Dana or Rockwell. This is the only service I haven't done yet on mine, (soon, I have scheduled rear axle overhaul after the engine swap!) so I can't speak personally. Sounds like Craig has done it.

You will find P30 manuals here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...&s=7031072951&cdra=Y

Try Part 2 for axle and brake info. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Do you know which rear axle you have? If you have a floating axle type with the removable axles, do as Craig has suggested HOWEVER, the bolts that hold the axles in have tapered washers that will bind, that is the way it is designed. The correct way to remove the axles are to take the retaining bolts off (after wheels, calipers are removed) and then hit the center of the axle hard with a 3 lb hammer. This will loosen the tapered washers and then the axle will slide out. DO NOT try to pry the axle out by putting anything between the axle flange and the hub. This will scratch or gouge the surface and you will have a leak.

On reassembly, I also suggest that seals on the hub be replaced. Be careful to use the proper tool to install the seals, they can be badly damaged if they are beat in or installed incorrectly!

The BIG retaining nut(s) need to be properly torqued and then backed off for the proper end play. To tight or to lose will cause premature bearing failure. There are specs and procedure on how this should be done and varies with axle type.

If you have never done a floating axle before I suggest strongly that you have a professional do this or at least have professional advice along the way.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
you will lose some rear end oil out the housing.

If you do them one at a time, you can raise the side you are working on and the oil will stay on the low side.

Also, I line up an in-stock source for new rotors before I start, just in case the rotors can not be turned.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again for the great info. I'll be printing those manuals off at work. Then I'll need to buy a binder.

I've done full floaters before, for a first time on this unit I just like to cover bases. Torque numbers are important. I might be able to get away with hoses, pads and calipers. The rotors look pretty new, just a bit rusty.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post