Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A/C issue
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A/C issue
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Well maybe not an A/C issue, more of a fuse issue. As you may know ive only owned my Barth about 4 weeks and have been updating the interior. While installing the flooring today, I had both A/Cs running. Then ran for about an hour and then both shut down. I believe I may have blown a fuse. I reset all the breakers which were not tripped...my question is where the heck is the fuse box?
In the closet where the breaker box is, there is a thin long board with buttons on it and it says "push buttons to reset" (I pushed all of them with no luck) Is there a traditional fuse box that I can check to see if I blew a fuse? or do any of you have another suggestion?
1989 Barth Regal.
Thank you in advance.

Posts: 21 | Location: San Luis Obispo, Ca | Member Since: 11-21-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the power at the breakers with a meter to confirm power at the breakers ?

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 624 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not, but I will in the morning.

Posts: 21 | Location: San Luis Obispo, Ca | Member Since: 11-21-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
What is your source of power? I would check the house breakers first.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I don't know where the A/C breakers are in your Barth but I can say that all those push button breakers are all 12VDC breakers.
From your comments, both A/C units quit at the same time?? Then Danny's suggestion would or should be the first starting point. If you are running the entire Barth off of a single 120 VAC source, that will over load any power cord unless it is a 50 amp power Large cord service. That would be typically a 240 volt 4 pin plug.

That service is two 120 VAC lines each line is out of phase (180 degrees) with the other. Measuring from neutral to each hot line will read 120VAC, however measuring across one hot line to the other hot line would read 240VAC. Most coaches run only one A/C from each line on a 50 amp service, However if you are using the 30 amp service plug and a single extension cord all AC appliances are now tied together and easily overload a single 120VAC service breaker from shore power source.

Also hooking up to a 30 amp shore power source may indeed run two A/C units for awhile BUT if by chance both A/C units tried to start the compressor at the same time, that surge power would certainly be enough to blow a shore power source breaker.
HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
If you have wall mounted thermostats, and you should, The roof A/C’s run on 110 volts but are controlled by 12 volts. Behind the ceiling assembly are both power wires. Drop them and probe the connections or wire nuts for the appropriate power. The AC is supplied by a typical Romex wire and the 12volt is supplied by a pair of 10 or 12 AWG wires, green is always negative and the positive will be different at each unit. For both units to shut down simultaneously you lost eithe power source immediately. The 12 volts are fused individually, in our 94 Sovereign button circuit breakers are used like Winnebago has used for decades. Good luck

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.