Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
I know there was a discussion on oil and stuff and I feel the discussion hit on the synthetics a bit but I can not find the discussion...
so I'll ask the questions
1 In getting ready for getting the Barth out of storage I generally change the oil and oil filter... After sitting for some time I was wondering should I change to synthetic oil for the engine
2 This year I am also going to change the fluid and filter in the transmission.. what is everyones opion on what I should use there...
3 I am also changing oil and filter in the Generator and am considering changing to synthetic there as well your opions
4 and the last one my bumpers do not shine and I would like them to look better than they do.. Does anyone have a product and proceedure they would share for this project.. I have been to the local places and taken home alot of products none of which I am really happy enough to pass along to anyone else...
that said how about a product to clean and wax the body of the beast.. I went thru that process last year and it looks pretty good and I would like to keep it that way..
All suggestions are appreciated..
Thanks again for your help...
John

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JReilly:
I know there was a discussion on oil and stuff and I feel the discussion hit on the synthetics a bit but I can not find the discussion...

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001194.html

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If there's rust on the bumper, Lime-Away, vinegar, lemon juice, or a rust-treatment product will dispose of that...rinse throughly.

I use Nu-Finish on my car and van - it holds up better than anything alse in FL that I've tried. Once a year is enough.

I may try one of the Teflon-based products on the coach - expensive, but they seem to work even better.

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
Bill and Rusty like always you guys came thru...
Bill Yes that is the conversation I was looking for...I put in Oil got nothing synthtic and got nothing and then fiddled around with a few combos...Anyway thanks for the help

Rusty Nu-Finish is what I used last year and was fairly happy with it... If it hold up to your heat etc in Fla I'll go with it again this year...
I'll play with the bumper suggestions..
Thanks again for your help....

John

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the bumpers off my '77 last summer, set them up on sawhorses, and wet sanded with the garden hose on them with 1500 grit paper. Then I dried them off and used never-dull on them. There must be some kind of anodizing on the outer surface because on mine, there is a spot in-line with the battery that looks like some acid was spilled there at one time, and it has gone through into the base aluminum, and in that case I don't think there's much that can be done. They sure never spared any expense on those extruded bumpers though, people always comment on them.

Posts: 23 | Location: Nanaimo, BC, Canada | Member Since: 02-03-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
John, Regarding your bumpers......

Because of the aluminum type, density & extruding process, the bumpers will never achieve the shine possible on the skin. But with a little patience & elbow grease, they can be made good-as-new and quite presentable.........

My unit came with bumpers that were straight, but full of scratches & other campground rash, pock marks from stone & gravel and discoloration & rust staining at the mounting bolts from galvanic reaction between the cad-plated bolts & the aluminum...not an attractive addition. Here was my fix:

1. Start with a 3M rubber sanding block and 3M Wetordry polishing paper -30 micron (green).

2.Clean the surface first, then lube with WD-40. With moderate pressure, sand HORIZONTALLY with the grain (never sand across the grain of the aluminum, i.e.: top-to-bottom!) Concentrate extra passes at the faults, until they have "almost" disappeared.

3. Wipe down with clean rag to remove contaminents, otherwise, the residue will contribute to further scratching.

4. Re-lube with WD-40 and repeat the process with 3M Wetordry, 15 micron (gray).
Proceed again as in #2 &3 above.

5. The same ritual, using 9 micron (blue), and finally 3 micron (pink)should give you a dull shine with a flawless surface.

6. A final treatment with an aluminum paste polisher (I prefer Nuvite, but Mothers, etc. should all work) will give you an attractive luster.

In my case, I remounted bumpers with stainless bolts, including stainless fender washers, backed-up with the same size rubber washers underneath. This effectively isolated the dissimilar materials enough to prevent further rust staining on the bumper surface.

My end-result can be seen at:

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=456632&pid=1214824

....Not perfect, but good enough for who it's for......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Met-all is the product that the Air Force used to recommend - Never-Dull was NOT approved, but I can't recall why.

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Don't know 'bout the whole USAF, but Nuvite is the choice at the Air Force One hangar...good-n-nuff recommendation for me....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post