Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ac and generator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ac and generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Acts like rings; I've discarded the possibility of valve guides.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I used to work on a framing crew that used a beat up old Honda generator. It ran 8 hours a day, five days a week. The oil might have been changed at some point but never during the 2+ years I was there. If it shut off from low oil level and we didn't have any oil on the job SOP was disconnect the wire from the sending unit and run it the rest of the day, hoping somebody would remember a quart of re-cycled the next day. It ran in the hot sun. through a lot of rain storms, burned whatever was in the gas can, and was still running fine when I left the crew. My point to all this is HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU COOK A HONDA? ROTFLMAO

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Danny, you've started my day out very nicely. We are in the woods with a lot of shade right now, so the solar farm is lying fallow.

Our little Honda is chugging along, and it is better-loved than the one you describe. May it be a long-lived.

We are in a bit of a valley, so everything really echos, so the Kohler would probably draw gunfire.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU COOK A HONDA?
You know Rusty... "Fix it 'til you break it" mechanic

More likely, this unit would be just fine for 95% of us. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Acts like rings; I've discarded the possibility of valve guides.

Have you considered some snake oil?

One of my other Hondas had sticky valves freed up by Seafoam in the oil. My Continental C-85 would get sticky lifters every so often and Mechanic's Brand oil fixer-upper fixed it every time. A side benefit was than my oil consumption went down, so I think it freed the rings, as well.

It's not as effective on a Vee, but on an upright cylinder, I have had good luck with Berryman's in the plug hole and sitting for a while.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Come on Rusty, you have us waiting!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, you might want to review the thread, where I mentioned it was used when I bought it, and it had sat for a few years. It's been like this since I bought it. I can look up the prior owner and maybe he can tell you...

If this one had been run like the one you cited, it would still be running well.

In any event it was cheap, so I got my money's worth.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Congratulations on your purchase. We own an '85 regal too. I'm having new carpet & flooring put in & to save $ I'm ripping all the old stuff out. I had no clue what I was getting into. The staple removing is what is really getting to me. since we have the exposed engine compartment I'm thinking now would be the time to shorten the dip stick. We had a little trouble in the beginning with the cumbersome act of trying to read a 4' dip stick but we've worked out the bugs. We removed the fill spout & fill from inside which has its negatives too. After a couple of times we've got it under control. It was more of a pain to fill from the front that reading the dip stick. Don't have the ac issues you're dealing with.

We live in Tennessee, 1 hr south of Knoxville, where are you in KY? Good luck with the ac & the generator.

Oh, I have dropped both my front & rear gas tanks' had them re coated inside(had a problem w/crud in rear tank & ended up having carburetor rebuilt because of it) replaced all the hoses, fuel pump, starter, today I relocated my cruise control wiring-it doesn't work, broke on our way home from Milford Barth GTG in April but there must be 19 wires that comes with it & it will be easier to work with where they are. Just trying to clean up the wiring under the dash while I have the front seat out. Had to grind all the bolts off to get them out.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
Jim/Terre, Which product did you use to coat the interior of your tanks? I have been thinking of doing this, cause after 26 years there has to be crud in them too.

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Sent them off to Roppel in Lexington,Ky. knoxville tn #865-673-0041

We take them the tank, they send to KY, clean, repair, coat inside or inside &/or out.

It ain't cheap but I could not buy a new one for my rear tank. they don't make them anymore. Otherwise I would have considered a new one.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post