Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ac and generator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ac and generator
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi everybody, I'm a new barth owner and love it. I have an 85 Barth 28' regal with the chevy 454.
I'm having a couple of minor issues.
My generator runs like crud or stops running whenever the outside temp is above 90. The next morning when things are cooler it runs fine. I have noticed the fuel line should be replaced due to dryrot. The generator is an onam 5.0 rv genset. It has 145 hours an it but I think it is origanal. My rear ac stopped cooling and cycles on and off. I was told at some point the ac units were replaced. They look to be in good shape but older. One last item. The dipstick on the 454 is hard to get back in when checking the oil. It has a splice in the tube going to the engine and I have to take disconect the splice to get the dipstick back in. The splice does not interfere but aids in getting the dipstick to go in. I'd like to do something where I don't have to work so hard to check the oil. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Todd

Posts: 3 | Location: kentucky | Member Since: 06-30-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you have a front engine and have the small front hood to access the dipstick you can relocate the dipstick to the standard 454 location which is on the passenger side under the doghouse. Chevy sells the standard dipstick and tube. It would mean you have to open the doghouse each time you want to check oil level. On my pre-Barth SOB I did this and it was only a minor inconvenience.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todd ryan:
Hi everybody, I'm a new barth owner and love it.
Welcome to the forums Todd. Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If you do as Tom K says, and I would recommend it, be sure to check the service bulletin regarding dipsticks used in p30 MH chassis.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
There is one drawback to the standard truck dipstick location. A MH that overheats its transmission will have overheated fluid boiling out of the dipstick tube onto hot exhaust components. This has been reported a number of times.

Trannies usually overheat when the engine is really working hard, so a fire can result. Some sort of shielding or directing away of the fluid can make things safer. Best is to have a good cooler and watch the gauge.

Anyone know how hot fluid has to be to boil over?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quick answer, 400F, not really B.P. but close enough to raise eyebrows, long answer:
http://www-static.shell.com/st...icants/pz_header.pdf

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Flash Point is 399°, which means that the gas expelled will ignite with an ignition source, but go out if the source is removed. Fire Point is 435°; the fire will continue even if the source of ignition is removed.

However, around 315°, the tranny's clutches and linings will be destroyed.

Actual "boiling over" (where the fluid expands to overflow) would depend on the location of escape routes, the tranny volume, and the fluid level.

Speaking of generators (crude segué back to topic Smiler ): I'm contemplating replacing the replacment Honda EV-4010 with an Onan diesel; I have excess weight capacity on the front axle. There's one on ebay, and tomorrow I'll measure to see if it'll fit. The Honda was bought used, and is need of an engine overhaul (it sat too long - but it was cheap).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, the Onan 6KW diesel won't fit...neither will the 5.5KW Marquis.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is worth mentioning Rusty, but when I had my MCI I bought a diesel 6KW generator (Kubota powered) that was previously used in an 18 wheeler application. What is noteworthy is that the engine and the generator were mounted side by side and connected via belts, like an alternator. I know with your ingenuity (or is that engine-uity) you might be able to craft a solution on one of those diesels. For that matter could you just re-power the Honda with a diesel power plant?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The larger gensets (over 4KW) tend to be too large to fit into the petite little cavity. The Honda that's in there now dis very well on a 20% overload (I tested it for an hour at 4800W), so capacity isn't the issue.

I'm gravitating towards just getting a new EV-4010 like what's in there. Rebuilding would be sensible if Honda parts weren't so expensive.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty, was that the Quiet Diesel 6000 on EBay? If it goes for anywhere the current bid (5:00 PM) that would be a steal.

It will not fit in mine either but I would make it fit if I found one here on the West Coast for that kind of money!

For me the height is the issue, but I think I could raise the floor to make it work!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's the one, and it's fairly close to my lot in GA. But it just wouldn't fit.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Power Tech has a small 3K diesel they put together for the Sprinter based MHs.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gasoline is fine - I'll keep looking for an Onan or Honda nearby. I think the Sprinter one is too small, but thanks for the tip - I'll look into it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The Honda is need of an engine overhaul

What's it need?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post