Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    spare parts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

spare parts
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We just got a 1989 31 ft unit last week -- this with a Ford 460 and John Deere Chassis.
No major problems have been noted yet but really haven't used it yet. It did make a 350 mile trip to our place without a problem. However, in reading about RV problems on the inter-net it is apparent that a store of replacement repair parts on board can be very important. Does anyone have a list of spare parts that would be good to have available for a unit like this? I do plan to carry a pretty complete tool box along when we travel but need a better idea on spare parts.

thanks for any ideas.

Posts: 10 | Location: Lancaster PA | Member Since: 12-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This should be interesting: I too would like to know what kind of spare parts people carry.

I kept the old distributor cap, rotor, coil and a couple of the old plug wires. I have a few extra spark plugs and the old belts from the last belt change. WD-40, greasegun, antifreeze, transmission fluid, motor oil and brake fluid are a must. I replaced the electronic ignition control unit that tends to burn out on these Fords but kept the old one for a spare.

Replace anything that wears out and keep everything that you removed if it was working before you took it off. A new fuel & oil filter are two additional items to keep.

Figure out how to jump out a defective relay at the starter and inside the dash. Good to know and will get you out of a jam.

There's more stuff I keep cause I'm just a packrat but that should get you started.

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I like Bills list,would add bulbs for rear lights, and Campers World has an assortment of interior bulds that has come in very handy. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the FMCA checklist at:

http://www.fmca.com/motorhometravel/checklist.asp

Mike

------------------
Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna 38'
Gillig Chassis
300 HP Cummins

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Relative:
I like the FMCA checklist at:

http://www.fmca.com/motorhometravel/checklist.asp

I like the list too. It's a good checklist before you pull out onto the road. Do yourself a favor and repack your wheel bearings. I've seen to many motorhomes and tow behinds burn up the wheel bearings because of a lack of lubrication.

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Definitely all of your belts, fuses, bulbs. Get a small 12v compressor. It may take an hour to pump up a tire, but you will be able to do it.

Popcorn popper..

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 22, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good infomation. The FMCA list looks very complete. I also keep a compressor in my car trunk, its saved a couple of changes on the road. I understand that things like filters, etc can be picked up at Auto-Zone once I ID the specific part needed.

Posts: 10 | Location: Lancaster PA | Member Since: 12-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave S:
Thanks for the good infomation. I understand that things like filters, etc can be picked up at Auto-Zone once I ID the specific part needed.

There are two inline fuel filters on my Coach. Check out the fuel lines and trace them from the tank up to the carb or fuel rail. Don't assume you have them all until you trace out the lines. Replace the one inside of the carb in equipped.

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
If it is not on the list I would add hoses.
1) Gas line hose, mine I found in rather bad condition; while I was on the road. A coach that has not been used in a while does the gas lines no good.

2) Radiator hoses, the ones with the custom bends, don't take too much space. Now I have never needed one.....yet.
2.1) I carry a water pump. OK this is more than likely over kill but the coach does sit a lot and things like the water pump and alternator don't show up until you are at a point on Sunday after all the stores are closed sitting with the nearest town 100 miles away.
3) Hoses and nipples with pipe caps set up to close hoses off, think water heater and the like.

A REAL Rolling floor jack, a big breaker bar and a solid six point socket to change tires. Always have one, I've used it on other folks rigs; never on mine. We dirve to places where raod side service is not happening. If you have this stuff the "Flat Gods" will leave you alone. A BIG bottle jack and a couple of large aluminum plates to use when you find you have to jack things up in sand will also work. Oh yea at least one jack stand, I do not trust jacks, I still have both legs and arms and I like this.

At least one CAN OF THAT RUST BUSTER STUFF Bill H talks about. Yellow can, wall mart has it in stock. This stuff ROCKS!!!!

A nice set of tools, I like Sears "profeshional" tools, the standard sets do not fit in my hand as well. A full set ratchts, wrenches and the like can be had this time of year, often on sale. I prefer snap-on but they are a bit more money.

Box wine, you should always have sun block and box wine.

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited December 22, 2005).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
The box of wine seem to like the ride next to the water tank under the rear closet. I would add a can of bug and tar remover to the list. I find if I go after them soon after arrival its way less work then we get back from our trip.

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Heater hose, and barbs if the heater core has to be bypassed.

Small 120V Air compressor, impact wrench, and sockets. Robust battery charger.

window and roof sealer (levelling and non-levelling).

I don't keep old belts, always a complete new set...if I'm gonna crawl under the old girl and replace a belt (like 10:30 on a 90 deg June night outside Nashville), darned if I want to do it again.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I replaced my belts and hoses and keep the old ones in a vacuum sealed bag with the labels from the new ones.

I carry a length of fuel line in case of fuel pump failure. It will allow me to use the genset electric fuel pump to feed the engine. And a spare fuel filter.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post