Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    So what are you towing?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

So what are you towing?
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Look at the banner at the top of the portal page. I believe this is Mary Ray, who has the 75 coach and 68 trailer. (She also has an 85 Command center soon to have another engine) Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Kevin, you never towed with your Barth?
Thought you towed Honda to Elkhart. Confused

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Fore train

Kindly resize and move the image to Photobucket, then link. Thanks.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi - Y'all, it's been awhile
Back BB (Before Barth) I was considering the early Airstream Motor homes. I came across a picture of an Air MH towing an Air Trailer. Always thought it was very cool. Mom needs a place to stay too.
Cheers - Ric cheers

Posts: 77 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Member Since: 04-30-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Ric, I have wanted to do this and I will if we ever have a GTG close to my house. My Motorhome is a 1975 with the original motor and I don't want to push my luck. Wink Tooling Along

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
As soon as I rebuild my transfer case and devise a pump lubrication system for it, I will be towing my 1989 Isuzu Amigo, 4.3L GM V6/4L60E/Dana 300 transfer case. It tows really well absolutely no change in MPG. Actually MPG improves a bit when running fast. Probably due to drafting effects!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am buildind a jeep cj7 with 5.3 vortec v8 4l60e auto trans and dana300.can i tow with dana 300 in neutral on all fours?

Posts: 48 | Location: gilroy ca | Member Since: 11-15-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
No the Dana 300 can not be flat towed in neutral! I found out the hard way! I burned up the output shaft bearing, it froze up solid! I didn't do a good job of research just figured all the jeeps I see being flat towed I figured there should be no problem. '87 and later have the 231 transfer case (drivers side drop) and it indeed has an internal pump. I had to use the Dana 300 as the Amigo has a passenger side drop.

I am having my transfer case rebuilt and am installing a pump oiling system so when towing the bearings will all get lub. This will involve drilling the case and output shaft cover and the use of a small electric pump.

If you can clock the transfer case flat, then you could over fill the case and it would be OK BUT I don't think you can clock it flat with the 4L60E trans and clear the trans case with the front drive shaft.

Which adapter to mount the Dana 300 to the 4L60E are you considering?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Towed my '98 Chevy Tracker 4wd 5 spd. 4 wheels down last week for the first time. I found a used Stow-a-way tow bar for $100 on Craigslist, and a Brake Buddy braking system for $300. Both new would have been around $1500. I couldn't tell any difference in handling even when running at 60-65 mph. Just have to make sure you don't get yourself into a tight spot with nowhere to turn around when you have to stop.

1989 Barth Regal 25'
454 Chev./TH 400

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
We don't have a Regal but we tow a 2005 Jeep Liberty using a Roadmaster tow bar set-up. It stays on the TOAD when unhooked. I use temporary rear lights and a Brake Buddy system. Jeep weighs 4,400 lbs and the Barth weighs about 18,000 lbs so we are over the 20,000 lb listed on the data tag.

The Jeep is a perfect, 4 down, tow vehicle. You just put the transfer case into "N", the tranny into "P" and turn the ignition key one click from off to free up the steering lock.

We carry our kayak on the TOAD using a YAKAMA rack.

This seems to work except for some long grades where the Barth needs a few more hp.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post