Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What does this thing do?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What does this thing do?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted
I have the air control system for the air suspension I think. The bottom of the tree has one hose that goes to the dash heating/cooling controls. There is one hose loose and one nipple open, both blow air. If I connect the hose to the open nipple the dash air controls don't work.

See photos

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Opps the second photo did not post, the end of this the unit is not hooked up to anything. Any suggestions?

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
That thing coming off the air manifold is first a air regulator and followed by a vacuum generator. It uses a venturi principle to generate a vacuum by passing air over a reduced orifice. Vacuum is needed to operate you dash HVAC controls and because diesels have no manifold vacuum, a source of vacuum is needed. When it is operating, you will hear a hiss of air coming out of the open nipple. It should cycle, if not, you have a vacuum leak or the unit is defective.

These vacuum generators work well but do fail and they are NLA, originally used in Ford diesels. Both of mine gave up and I replaced the front one with an electric vacuum pump and switch.

You will probably find another one back in or around the engine if you have a vacuum operated cruise control. When that one failed, I replaced the cruise control with and electronic unit from a GM 2500 pickup truck.

The thing that I did not like about these was that it uses a continual supply of air when generating vacuum which means that as you drive down the road, you air pressure will cycle up and down. These are supposed to be self regulating units and should shut off when a vacuum of a certain level is reached. Unfortunately, leaks in the vacuum system and use of vacuum, will use air.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
That explains why the dash stops working when I block the open vents, I stop the venturi jet from working. Makes sense now! Thanks, and yes it does cycle the air pressure.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for asking that question. I have been wondering what that thing is. I have also wondered where the A/C controls got their vacuum, as they appear to be stock GM vacuum operated of the era.

My vacuum does not cycle.

What are the chances that my cruise control is operated from vacuum? It is rock solid (both air pressure and speed.)

Is the Jake Brake operated from vacuum?

'96 Barth Regency 400hp Cummins M11.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are the chances that my cruise control is operated from vacuum? It is rock solid (both air pressure and speed.)

Is the Jake Brake operated from vacuum?

'96 Barth Regency 400hp Cummins M11.

Chances are that yours may have an air pressure operated cruise control, they are MUCH better then the vacuum systems. Jakes are air pressure operated also.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
the M11 uses engine braking and not exhaust braking. Don't often disagree with the wrench but I believe the M11 will have electric controls.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post