Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Canadian Barth owner needs rebuilding help
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Canadian Barth owner needs rebuilding help
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Greetings all. We brand new to all of this (including trying to use this forum so I'll probably mess something up) and, due to limited finances, are starting the hard way. We purchased '72 22'Barth. The former owner was going to restore it so there is nothing inside (not even paneling or insulation). We need a source for instructions just like we were trying to convert a school bus to a motor home which would cover everything from electrical to holding tanks. Also, what might be our biggest problem is the windshield. One side will need replaced. Any suggestions on what will work?

Posts: 7 | Location: Thomasburg, Ontario, Canada | Member Since: 11-07-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
There is a magazine that deals with that. My neighbor gets it, but I am on crutches and my wife won't go out with her hair in rollers, so I'll get the info tomorrow.

Watch this space.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I also have a 22 foot 1972 Barth. Go to the search and type in windsheild and you will find an answer to your question about your windsheild. If it is the same as mine it will be a little smaller winsheild than the newer Barths. If you would like, I will E-mail a picture of the interior of ours. You can do just about anything you would like. Ours has the twin beds in the back and a small and I mean small bath in the middle of the coach. It is powered by a Chev 350 which is just about right.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Here is the url for the magazine. It is very informative for the do it yourselfer. They also sell books on what to do and so forth.

http://www.busconversions.com/

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
If at all possible you might want to go to a bus rally so you can see what people have done with their interiors. Lots of different ideas and use of different materials involved. Unlike an rv show you won't see the same thing used in each unit....each bus is unique and there are a lot of creative people out there who are glad to show you what they did and tell you how and why they did it the way they did. There is a rally this coming weekend at Rickreall Oregon and there will be one at Minot N. Dakota a few days before the big FMCA rally there in Aug. and there is a big one on New Years day in Arcadia Fla. if you happen to be in the area. I don't know of any in your area of Canada but if you can find a busnut nearby they might know of a local rally that you could attend.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, if this isn't the right way to respond to the replies to my question - I'll learn (maybe). At least I appear to be regressing in age. Just realized we are classed as junior members. Pretty good for + 55 and + 65 respectively.

bill h - thanks for the url for the magazine. I had a chance to briefly look the site over today and I know Bob will be into it tonight. The kind of information we need the worst is wiring, plumbing and holding tank installation. Ummm, holding tanks - scarey.

Dennis - It sounds like your 22 footer might be exactly like the one we bought. It has the narrower windshield. Someone told Bob the windshield out of an older GM van will work but we haven't found one in a scrap yard yet to check it out. Ours also had twin bunks in the rear and like yours, a tiny center bath on drivers side. He said ours probably had the 350 in it as well. He's put the engine (6.2 diesel), trans & rear end out of a small bus in it. Eventually he would like to install a gear vendors to drop the rpm's but that's on the next page. Would most certainly love to see interior pics of yours. The only interior pictures we have seen of that year and near that length were from the model that had the big caboose and rear bath. Oh, Bob wants to know if yours has duel wheels.

Shadow Man - We don't know of any bus rallies near but will do some searching. We're only a couple of hours out of Toronto and I'm betting there would be one there.

Posts: 7 | Location: Thomasburg, Ontario, Canada | Member Since: 11-07-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just found some rally info for you on one of the busboards. Great Lakes Converted Coachs will be holding a rally Aug 25-28th at Point Blake Conservation Area near Grand Bend Ontario. The Converted Coach Owners will have a rally at Ilderton Ont. which is North of London Ontario on Sept 9-11.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Shadow Man. I've written the date in my book

posted Hide Post
Here's a great place for most anything...

www.rvsurplussalvage.com

They get close-outs, surplus, and odd-lots. Mostly new stuff, furniture, appliances, heaters, electronics, plumbing, generators, etc. etc. you can save some serious bucks at places like this over places like "Campers World" and such. We bought new captains chairs from RVsurplus last year, brand new top-o-the-line FLEXSTEELS . They were made for a high-end Fleetwood... "last years color", heated, lumbar, electric footrest on the passenger side... real nice. Paid a lot, but it was literally half of the best price I could get out of a Flexsteel dealer. So the color is a little different brown than the dash? Well, That's OK with me. Matches the panelling!

Good luck on your restoration! Have fun!

Cheers, Duteman

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something else i just found out about is a site called www.abnb.demon.co.uk look at the narrow boat brokerage listing....i just took a quick look at one or two boats so far but from what i have heard they have some nice ideas for small spaces.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's a simple wiring diagram I found in our coach. It's been posted elsewhere but this will save you looking it up.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Just found some rally info for you on one of the busboards. Great Lakes Converted Coachs will be holding a rally Aug 25-28th at Point Blake Conservation Area near Grand Bend Ontario. The Converted Coach Owners will have a rally at Ilderton Ont. which is North of London Ontario on Sept 9-11.

Thanks for the information. I've made note of the dates. We might be able to makd the Point Blake meet but Ilderton conflicts with another "show". We'll be vending at the Barrie Automotive Flea Market that weekend. I've had a brief look around the web site you sent as well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duteman:
Here's a great place for most anything...

www.rvsurplussalvage.com

They get close-outs, surplus, and odd-lots. Mostly new stuff, furniture, appliances, heaters, electronics, plumbing, generators, etc. etc. you can save some serious bucks at places like this over places like "Campers World" and such. We bought new captains chairs from RVsurplus last year, brand new top-o-the-line FLEXSTEELS . They were made for a high-end Fleetwood... "last years color", heated, lumbar, electric footrest on the passenger side... real nice. Paid a lot, but it was literally half of the best price I could get out of a Flexsteel dealer. So the color is a little different brown than the dash? Well, That's OK with me. Matches the panelling!

Good luck on your restoration! Have fun!

Cheers, Duteman

Elkhart is definately one of the first places we want to go as soon as we have the old Barth mobile. Figure if we don't have all the stuff we need by that time we'll surely be able to find it there. Thanks for the link.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
Here's a simple wiring diagram I found in our coach. It's been posted elsewhere but this will save you looking it up.

Bless you! I have saved the diagram to two locations (so I don't lose it) and I've printed it.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
hi bb's barth this is rp's barth do you still have it and what is the progress? e-mail me wihh the results. This is the person you got her from. Would love to hear from you. Thanks Richard & Robin.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post