Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted
I have a Dometic gen that doesn't want to start. I used it last week and it started right up and ran fine. When I went to start it later it wouldn't fire. Seems like it is out of propane. It trys but won't run. One time when it tried it fired and I ran it for about 15 min and shut it off , tried again ---would'nt start I did check the 12 volt cutoff valve and it does open when you try starting. I did make sure the propane tank is full

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Is the valve on the tank open? Could be the pressure regulator is bad too. Had one on a new bbq that went bad in just a couple of years.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I took the plug out of the bottom of the regulator,ran a hot wire to the fuel safety selonid and propane came out the the plug hole. When I took the plug from the reg there was a red grease like stuff on it,makes me wonder if reg could be pluged Could you give a squirt of starting fuild in the air cleaner and see if it fires?

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Does it have a LOW OIL shut-down?

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
This sounds exactly like the problem I had with mine. Would run sometimes and then quit, would not re-start, period of run time very variable. I first thought that it was fuel starvation---nope, then I looked at ignition---nope.

What I found was the main power switch on the control panel had gone intermittent. The switch is unprotected from the elements and was corroded inside. (verified by subsequent inspection. This is the bat handle toggle switch. You might try to spray some contact cleaner into the switch and then rapidly move the switch on/off many times. Try to start it and see what happens.

There will be an oily residue coming out of the regulator, normal for propane as there is an oil additive to reduce tank corrosion.

I am on a cruise ship and do not have a good internet service so I can’t locate the write up I did about this problem, it is in the achieves.
HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
it is on the full mark on the engine oil stick. I took the air cleaner hose off and give it a squirt of starting fluid and it started and ran fine.Shut it off and started again ok. left it sit overnight--wouldn't start.Squirt of starting fluid,started and ran fine again for a hour.shut it off and it acted same way. Just seems not to get fuel to start.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
On my previous Barth (90 Breakaway) there was a small cut underneath the clamp on the rubber supply line to the carb .. it would start..stop. Replaced the line and it solved the problem

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have found that when it is cold, my generator will crank for a LONG time before starting. I further found that if I crank for short bursts, it will start much better and faster. I will crank for about 5 seconds, stop and then another 5 seconds. It will usually start on the second or third try.

Some of this is related to the fact that when cold, liquid propane vapor pressure is very low and it will not vaporize in the regulator/vaporizer easily when first starting. By short bursts it lets some of the liquid vaporize a bit in the subsequent tubing and venturi openings so it can fire easier. I also made a mistake of setting the plug gaps too wide, they should be only 0.018" and it will start much better. Once the regulator/vaporizer is heated by the engine coolant, it should start much faster.

You also may have some oil residue in the venturi jets which will reduce the vapor flow a bit during starting. Be careful using any carb cleaner around the regulator/vaporizer. Cleaner will attack the rubber diaphragms. The regulator must be set up using specialized equipment if it is disassembled.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Up north, the big propane generators for industry have elaborate pre-heaters. The colder it gets, the harder propane is to vaporize.

It led me to ask why the use propane for generators if they are hardest to start when you might need it the most. The answer seems pretty obvious once pondered upon, propane is about the only fuel commonly used that will last virtually forever in a stored state.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Up north, the big propane generators for industry have elaborate pre-heaters. The colder it gets, the harder propane is to vaporize.

On the farm in NW Iowa, one winter was so cold that my dad built a pen (with a partial roof) of hay bales around the propane tank and put some of the cattle in it to keep it a little warmer so it would flow. The grass was greener there all summer, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post