Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1st oil change
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1st oil change
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Silly question to most I'm certain: How many quarts ?
jack brand 1988 460

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Since nobody answered can I guess? I would say 5 quarts with new filter and recheck?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry and Heidi.
jack !!!

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I added 6 quarts to my 460 and replaced the regular filter with a 2 quart oil filter from NAPA.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put 6 or so in, crank engine, run, shut down, check for leaks, give 5 minutes or so for all oil to drain back to pan, pull dipstick, wipe off, stick back in and pull out, and see if more is needed. NOTE: The 460 in the F250 I used to own took 7 quarts.

Once you have the magic number, write it down somewhere, along with the wrench size for the drain plug and the oil filter number, and put this info where you can find it again. I just take the flap from the oil filter carton, with the numbers on it, and write the wrench size and the amount of oil on the back of the flap, and hang it on the pegboard in the shop where the filter wrench hangs.

Same thing for V belts. Put on a new set, and hang the old cardboard slip holders from the v belts in the shop. Then buy a set of spares to keep in the coach.

I always keep a set of belts and filters in a vehicle that is driven cross country. Try finding a special belt at 2 AM in the morning in some far off back road area. Many moons ago several of us were pulling trailers on a long cross country trip. One of the F250's started pumping oil, the quick driver caught it by watching the oil pressure gauge, when the neeedle dropped, he shut down. The oil filter split at the seam. I just happened to have a spare filter and 10 qts of spare oil in my truck, also a F250 with 460. 20 minutes later we were on the road. The location? Half way between Spokane and Seattle way out in the wheat fields, Saturday night, 9 PM.

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited October 12, 2003).]

Posts: 15 | Location: Port Angeles, WA USA | Member Since: 07-17-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post