Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    5.9B Cummins
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

5.9B Cummins
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
On our recent trip to Florida we looked at a nice 1992 30' Breakaway with the 5.9 Cummins and liked the coach a lot.
I would appreciate some comments on the longevity of this engine given proper oil changes and reasonable maintainence. The engine has a little over 100K miles on it.
Thanks
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 92' 30' Breakaway with that engine. With routine care there should be no issue's. We have repaired a few things only because the previous owner didn't do anything. We are happy with our's and plan on keeping it until we hit the road fulltime in a couple of years hopefully. If you need more info I can dig out the receipt from the cummins shop that did the work.

Bruce Nalder
Renton, WA.
92-30'Breakaway

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have the 5.9B Cummins also and feel it is near bulletproof. The only caution I would give is sometimes it is mated with an Allison AT542 transmission. This transmission can have overheat issues when pulling or when in some serious hills. Just my two cents worth, others may disagree. Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Based on my personal experience, I have to agree with Tom. The only problem I had on the road was the transmission light turning on while climbing a steep and long hill. I stopped on the side of the road, let the engine run and allowed the transmission to cool down. This spring I plan to replace the transmission cooler radiator with a larger one and install a temperature gauge.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Raymag, where and what is your generator? I am intrigued by the lack of a grille on your coach.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Bill, my generator is a 7000 Watts propane one. It is located in the front. You don't see the grille because of the bra I'm wearing ! Smiler

By the way, I'm the only Barth I've seen with a factory issued bra. How many of you have a Barth bra?

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
I don't have the bra, but I'm wearing my Barth thong.

Was that out loud?

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Wow ! I didn't know you could get the thong too! Big Grin

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
Front Entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All I got was the Breakaway Tutu... Razzer

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post