Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1973 barth
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1973 barth
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of shell&damon
posted
Hello we just bought a 1973 19ft class A Barth.We are trying to find out as much information as we can.Would anyone know where we can maybe get a owners manual for this?Also we are having some engine problems we know it has a 350 in it.We are trying to get this sweet baby up and running and maybe start our summer off just right.We are first time motorhome owners.Any info would be terrific.
Thanks,
Michelle and Damon

Posts: 20 | Location: indiana | Member Since: 05-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Welcome to Barthmobile. There is no "owners manual" for your coach. In 1973 your coach should have been built on a P32 Chevy Chassis.

Would you be willing to supply the Data-Tag Number for your coach and a picture? If you supply these two items I can link the picture to your name and tell you some more info about your Barth.

If you are looking for additional info, we sell a Barthmobile.com cd and that has many PDF's on it. The cost for this CD is $25.00.

You can also ask us some questions and we will do our best to answer them for you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
The data tag Bill is asking about is mounted on the wall beside the driver on most coaches. However on at least one coach from that era the tag was mounted on the outside of the coach near the drivers side front wheel.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
The data tag Bill is asking about is mounted on the wall beside the driver on most coaches. However on at least one coach from that era the tag was mounted on the outside of the coach near the drivers side front wheel.

Nick

Also seen or reported:

Inside the compartment above the windshield

Attached to the front of the driver side overhead cabinet.

Inside the genset compartment.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to verify that it's a class A coach. Year, size, and engine would lead me to believe it's one of the rare class C's. Does it have a van front end [probably chevy] with the coach built on the back and overhead? This is by definition a class C.
Now for a little motorhome primer, most of which I've learned from the guys on this site.
Whether a C or an A, a motorhome is made up of 2 main parts, the drive train,[chassis and engine] and the coach,[body and interior]. The drive train components are servicable by any mechanic with the knowhow and facilities to handle the job. This would be things like engine, radiator, steering, brakes, tires, etc. There's nothing particularly different in these respects from any truck built on the same chassis. [This is meant for our older Chevy gassers, newer Diesel Pushers may be a different story]. The coach is the part built by Barth and assembled onto the chassis. Servicing the coach is quite a bit different than servicing the drivetrain, simply because most wrenches have never dealt with ammonia refridgerators or overhead 110 volt air conditioners. The water system, holding tanks, inverters, lighting, and a million other things that make up the coach are best worked on by a reliable motorhome tech, or better yet, yourself, provided you have some skills and are willing to put forth the effort.
This site will give you the information and confidence to do many things yourself. I don't think there are many issues that haven't been discussed, and the search feature at the top of the page will bring you right to the subject at hand.
Good luck with your new old coach. I don't think you would have bought it if you were intimidated by it, so you're already ahead.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shell&damon
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYONE.I HAVE FOUND THE TAG AND WILL POST IT TOMORROW.WE ARE STILL INVESTIGATING IT JUST FOUND OUT HOW TO TURN THE FRIDGE ON AND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE HEATER AND WATER HOSES.

Posts: 20 | Location: indiana | Member Since: 05-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
How bout a coupla pitchers?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
How bout a coupla pitchers?
That's a long way to go for a coupla pitchers... Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
For future postings of pix, which we all enjoy, perhaps you could check out photobucket. If you use them it doesn't use up bandwidth on the site and you can post all the pix you want. It's free and you can size the pix so we can see the whole pic at once. I'll let Bill give you the specifics.
Thanks Danny - so I don't hijack this post - please visit this link and read the tutorials

Placing pictures in your posts

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shell&damon
posted Hide Post
The data tag I found is beside the driver side seat on the inside.This is the info I have off of it

Barth Inc
incomplete vehichle
MFD by cheverolet motor division --Date: 2/73
GVWR-10,500
Front-4300 lbs with 7.50 x16 8ply tire
Intermediate ________ with _______ tire
Rear--7500lbs with 7.50x 16 6 ply
This vehicle conforms to all applicable federal motor safety standards.In effect of 2/10/1973
serial number 73061370MC19 CPY 373V 307112
Type Multi Purpose passenger vehicle.

This is all that is on the driver side tag however there is service part info in the glove box with all the tech info.
base is 125.Am in the process of getting a pic on here hopefully today.Thank you so much for any and all info.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
CPY 373V 307112

Interesting....You mentioned it had a 350 engine, yet the VIN indicates it has a 454, i.e.:

C= Chevy (T for GMC)
P= Forward Control
Y= 454-4bbl (350 is L) Confused
3= 1 ton
7= motorhome chassis
3= model year (1973)
V= Assembly Plant (GM-Detroit)
307112 = Sequential Serial #

Then again, it could be GMC quirkiness....My VIN
is CPS, indicating a "C" model 454, when it should clearly be a "Y" (454-4bbl "P" model)

Go figure...Anyway, WELCOME to the site!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Interesting....You mentioned it had a 350 engine, yet the VIN indicates it has a 454.

Go figure...

Most sources will say all P30 chassis had 454s, however I know of several with 350 engines.

LIke you said, go figure. Smiler

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's a P30; the spec "incomplete vehicle" normally means it's a cutaway van, and so a Class C. Having a glove box pretty much confirms. IIRC, all of this vintage were on the Chebby HD G30 chassis (GVW 10.5K lbs.), and typical front axle with the 350 cu. in. was 4,000 lbs., so I'm with Lee - I'd bet it has the 454, unless it were replaced. What is wierd is that the manual for my '89 SOB Class C was that it showed the G30 SD (8,500 lbs.) with the 454 had 10 more HP than the HD (10,500 lbs.) chassis did...

What is strange, however, is that GVW is 10,500 lbs., but the total of front and rear axle loadings is 11,800!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
For my year, at least, there were four types of incomplete vehicle.

Chassis cab

Bare Chassis

Chassis/cowl

Cutaway or chopped van

My P30 came with GM documents as an imcomplete vehicle.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Also note the 16 inch wheels.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Also note the 16 inch wheels.

Here is a table from my GM P30 chassis manual.

It is interesting that only one of the 16 inchers shows a lower load capacity than the 19.5 inchers.

I had a coupla P30s with 16 inchers.