Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    shutoff solinoid
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

shutoff solinoid
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
I am having problems shutting down my 5.9 Cummins! Has anyone had solutions to the problem? It seems the solinoid is hanging up, and not completly releasing. I also had a problrm with my steps not retracting.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
thread drift

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited February 22, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the 5.9 shutting down. But Bill is correcto on the steps. If you battery is low the steps are the first to go.

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
thread drift

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
I wound up removing the armiture & tying up the steps so I could go home. I haven't been back to either problem since. I wish I had removed the clevis as you suggested. I beleive the problem is in the door switch.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just took a trip to Yuma, Mexico and Tucson. Just before we left my steps worked now and again. I looked out the window the day before we left and they were out. I went out to start loading the coach and they were in. Seems they had a mind of their own. Didn't find the problem so unhooked the pin from the arm driven by the motor and tied them up. When we got where we were going untied them to let them down. I am unable to find the door switch unless it is the two plastic caps on the door and the door frame. Does anybody know if they are the switch or where the switch is located? The entry lights work when the door is opened and closed.

Posts: 12 | Location: Newell, SD & Yuma, AZ | Member Since: 05-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
I have the instruction pamphlet that came with the steps, and yes the two circular patches are part of the switch. The switch is a magnetic switch inside the door. I still have not gotten back to check out the problem. I hope I can replace the armiture with out too much trouble. I sure wish I had seen the clevis.

posted Hide Post
I found the wiring schematics for the steps in the Barth book that came with the coach. I don't believe I am getting power in the red wire. Am going to look today for the fuse. My coach is a little slow in shutting down when I have been driving for several hours. I think the reason for this -- back pressure in the line holding the solinoid open until the fuel can be burnt off. Did you ever find a screen door? Rod

[This message has been edited by Rod DeGarlais (edited February 20, 2004).]

Posts: 12 | Location: Newell, SD & Yuma, AZ | Member Since: 05-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
KWICKEE ELE STEPS
Dave has a Barth CD that has the whole man. for the electric steps just look under the PDF FILES.

Ralph Glover
76 Barth 27'

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey Don:
I went fishing

I found the problem with my step. There is a wire junction or maybe better called a poor wire connection at the back of the fender well on the passenger side for the red wire. Mine was seriously corroded. Also the reset button for the steps is located on the panel under the foot of the bed. It was tripped. I reset it and went from there. My steps now work wonderfully. What a relief. Didn't get to try out my headlights as we were always parked by dark. Still wondering about screen door. ROD

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Hey Rod,
The Barth we met at Thousand Trails had the solution for the screen door and it cost them all of $10.00. They took two pieces of screen and sewed a tape around each, used hook & loop to hold them together, and mounted them in the doorway. Made a great screen door.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
The above post by Don, reminded me of a friend of mine with many dogs that bought a product called 'Dog Screen' at Home Depot which is a very heavy, yet flexible vinyl type screen. She sewed a header and edges with Velcro and let it hang in place of sliding patio door screen (which was always laying outside on deck) and it worked very well. This could be an answer to the 'screen door' issue (and it was not expensive, about $10.00 for more than enough to close in the 3�x7� area).

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The Dreaded Thread Drift.

posted Hide Post
The shutdown solinoid has a rubber boot covering the plunger. With age the boot will split, and let the plunger drop down. You can buy a replacement boot, or make one from a bike tube. This is the first thing to check. Hope this helps.

Tim House

------------------
1993 Breakaway, 230 Cummins, 6 speed.

Posts: 4 | Location: Starke, FL | Member Since: 02-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Tim House
You hit the nail on the head Tim. I contacted Cummins and was told I had to buy the whole solinoid at over $300.00. I then contacted Syncrho Start and they gave a part number of SA4133 for the rubber boot at $9.00. Their minimum order $36.00, so they referred me to Redmond Enterprizes in Texas who I called and am waiting for an answer. Their number is 972-398-3934.