Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    DC main coach cutoff switch-poll
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

DC main coach cutoff switch-poll
 Login now/Join our community

<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
I have a DC cutoff switch at the entry steps of our 30 92 Breawaway. When we come back from a trip I plug in to 110AC and walk away. Is there any reason why I should or should not turn off this switch? Currently I just leave it "ON" all the time...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It depends on what your 110 volt connection is doing. There is a wide range of inverter/charger performance. I would suggest a digital volt meter be connected to the batts and monitored. After a day or two, the voltage should settle down to no more than 13.2. This is called a "float" charge. Any more than that either indicates weak batteries or is an overcharge condition, and will boil away your water. You DO monitor your battery water, don't you? Got a hydrometer?

The newer inverters/chargers have a "smart" charging regimen, usually three or four stages. They can be left plugged in indefinitely. I use an Iota DLS 75/IQ3. It has a selectable charge rate for a slightly quicker charge if I need it, then can go back down to the 13.2 float voltage when plugged in for a long time.

I can recommend a Trimetric battery indicator most heartily for anyone who cares about their batteries and wants the most from them at the least expense.

http://www.bogartengineering.com/2020.htm

It will pay for itself in the long run by making your batteries last longer, and will be handy as all get out in the short run. In my case, it allows me to have just two golf cart batteries. If I were not able to do as good job of monitoring batteries, I would need four golf cart batteries, with all their attendant expense, wiring, and space considerations. On a gasser, space for batteries is no small matter.
So, for me, the dollars more or less evened out.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Hi Bill, I do check water levels in my batteries and check the battery voltages with a multimeter. I have a later model charger that shuts off when the batteries are fully charged. I don't see how this is relevant to my question. Maybe you can help me understand.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Some people cut off their batteries to avoid the little draws on them when parked. Leaving your batteries connected when parked with 110 volts connected, subjects your batteries to whatever the converter is doing to them, bad or good. Some converters are not good for long-term parking. They can overcharge the batteries. If your charger is not overcharging, then leaving the DC on all the time is good.

I thought you were asking whether you should or should not turn the DC switch on or off.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited October 06, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post