Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Removing Radiator on 1984 P30/32
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Removing Radiator on 1984 P30/32
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
Hey guys,

I have a question for you all. The harmonic balancer on my 1984 Barth Royale needs to be replaced. To get it off, I need to pull the radiator in order to get a puller in there. Looking at mine, it looks like an easy job to pull the radiator from the front grille access of the coach. Looks like move the aux trans and oil coolers, then move the A/C condensor and there is the radiator right there. Anyone done this before? Pulling the radiator out the front? Of course, while I have it out, I'll go through the radiator and check things out....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I had to get my radiator replaced on my first trip home in May of 2010.

The mechanic took off the aux cooler, A/C condenser and pulled the radiator right out the front. The hardest part of the job was finding the cores to rebuild the radiator.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I took mine out over the top of the engine.

I wonder if the radiator could be raised enough (with the upper half of the fan shroud and upper channel removed) to get access to the HD.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
do you really need a puller to get the blancer off?
i have a Cummins engine did not need one.I would like to know if they are all the same/
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When I had to remove the HB on a 400, I put a large socket on the nut, put a breaker bar on it, wedges it to the ground, and hit the starter. Doubt if that's how they teach it in Vo-Tech, but it worked.
Anyway, when I replaced my radiator, I raised the front end, put jack stands under it, and dropped the radiator out the bottom. billh took his out the top, so either way apparently works, just depends on if you have a friend with a large tow truck and super duty jack stands.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
When I had to remove the HB on a 400, I put a large socket on the nut, put a breaker bar on it, wedges it to the ground, and hit the starter.

That loosens the bolt. Did you need a puller to get the HD off the crank snout?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not that I remember bill. It seems a couple taps and it came right off. It's been a while though.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you have a friend with a large tow truck and super duty jack stands.

What's your friends name and number? Does he make roadside calls to Oklahoma?

!!!!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post