Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Isolator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Isolator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
I have a 1990 Regency with a 3208 Cat Diesel, I'm not sure if that makes a difference but there it is. I apparently need a new battery isolator and at first look, it appears to be something I can take care of myself. Is there a particular type that I should buy or a particular place that will give me a better deal?

I am having a problem with the coach losing all power when I shut down the motor. The battery kill switch next to the entry door is in the on position but I still lose everything.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I think your main coach relay is not operating, this can not be the fault of a faulty isolator! You may have a similar system to mine and there is NO isolator but uses a realy to parallel the chassis battery system with the coach battery system when the key is on. Before I redesigned the system, if I left the main battery "kill switch", off I would lose coach power when I shut the engine down. Later when the coach battery relay failed it coach power was lost when the engine was shut down.

Have someone cycle the coach power switch (the one you call "battery Kill" switch (with the engine off)and listen for which relay is clicking, then check to see if it is really closing, if the relay is closed you should have 12 volts on both sides of the big terminals, and of course the coach should then have power.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I used truckdown.com again when the coach wouldn't "air up." It turned out to be a faulty wiper motor that is leaking air. Play with the knob and the leak goes away. Back to the thread, this guy also checked the loss of power issue and told my wife (I was at work) that when he bypassed the isolator, I had power. The "isolator" in question is a blue rectangular box with the battery cables from the house and chassis batteries attached to it. Is it possible he is referring to the relay and calling it an isolator? There is a round item, that looks more like a relay, just inside the curb side engine bay access panel, near the "isolator." It is pretty corroded around the terminals. could that be the relay you're referring to? If so, I might just need to clean it up. Replacing it looks fairly simple also but I'm not even sure what it is.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Awhile back, Ed (MWrench) told me to check the main coach relay. I'm working on that this weekend but I would like to re-visit the issue if I may.

I'm not sure of the differences between a 94 Breakaway and a 90 Regency concerning isolators and relays, or anything else for that matter, but can someone tell me where the main coach relay is? There is a silver box under the sofa that I was told is part of the system but I'll need to check that on Sunday.

Any ideas?

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle