Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof maintenance
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof maintenance
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I read the thread about the liquid roof and began to wonder if we should maintenance our roof in any way. My husband crawled up the ladder and observed and said there is nothing to do...it looks brand new. Granted this coach has been in heated, carpeted storage when not in use the last 14 years and for the most part it does look new (29,000 miles)...But if we were to do roof maintenance what would we do? The whole top of the coach is good, no sags, leaks, and no signs of wear. So why and when do you use liquid roof or other repair products. Or how do you prevent from getting to the point where you need these products?

Again we are newbie's and ask the strangest questions. We are beginning to realize just how well care for this coach is and how many options it has that make it closer to a Regency then a Regal...two A/C's with heat strips and thermosats, two furnaces, Kool-matic fan with automatic thermastats, inverter, converter, air bags, 7 Onan generator, full coach security system (basement too), roof ladder, spot light, compartment light, docking lights, Hadley air horns and ultimate horn, corian counter tops and table, ice maker, strip light above the overhead cherry cabinets (with pistons), aisle lights at the floor, 6 CD- 6 speaker Alpine stereo,...and the list goes on of things we don't even know what they are or how to use them. Dumb luck newbie's.

whamer

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey you guys,

I would just make sure that if you park under a bunch of pine trees that you would perhaps clean it off. I don't get on my roof, but Deb does and every spring she takes her rubber broom that she bought at the state fair a couple years ago, (it slices, it dices) and a bucket full of mothers car soap and scrubs it and rinses it. I and here the broom and the hose. She says I am her hoser, cute huh??

You can get one for just 4 easy payments of $29.99 and you get 4 sets of Ginzu knives, and a Popiel Pocket Fisherman...

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 18, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will defer the HOSER comment to ron. Take it ron.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
IMHO - if a roof is in good overall condition, using a full coating product like Liquid Roof, is overkill. The panels, however, are assembled with some kind of seam compound which can dry out over time.

If the unit has been kept inside, in a temperate climate, and not exposed to weather, you're probably OK, but you wouldn't know for sure until the first big rainstorm.

If it has been exposed to desert temperatures, stored inside or out, there's a greater chance of leaks.

If you're going to store it outside, even if the roof looks pristine, a belt & suspenders approach would be to go up with a tube of flowable sealant of some kind, and run a bead over every seam between panels, and every screw or other device that penetrates the roof; antennas, horns, spotlights, etc., even the running lights, includng the screws under the lenses, that fasten the lights to the roof. Whatever you plug up, or seal (presuming a proper degree of care) is something that ain't gonna leak in the future.

It takes about an hour to do this job. Perhaps not really necessary, but good for peace of mind when that first big rain storm hits.

I've used a product from Camping World called "ProFlex," and some others whose names I don't recall. RV stores usually carry a variety of them, but I can't attest to the longevity of any of them. Look for the warranties, and make sure they will flow when applied.

The posts on Liquid Roof make it sound like a super product, but it also sounds like it's difficult to apply, and requires special effort.

The degree of perfection to which one aspires, is proportional to the difference between one's desire for show quality, and their desire for a usable artifact that satisfies them.

We all start out like gangbusters, striving for perfection, but most of us flag somewhere down the line, and settle for what works. It is imperative, however, to keep doing what works.

Today I completed item 42 on a do-list that still has 11 items to go. All because at least two previous owners didn't bother with the little daily stuff you have to stay on top of. About 1/4 of the items were fairly expensive replacements of things that wouldn't have required replacement if they had been maintained.

When I'm done, i'll have a well-maintained, usable, attractive rig, but it won't be a restoration that will win any Concours d'Elegance.

Barths are beautiful, useful, valuable objects, that's why we have them. But they're not Duesenbergs, strictly for show. They're to be used, not just looked at. But you have to keep 'em up.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently layed down another coat of a cool seal elastomeric type product. I believe in the 5-P's theory....prior planning prevents P---poor performance. This stuff had a 10 year warranty, cost about $16 per gallon at wallyworld and went down easy, taking less than two gallons and 2 hours on the 28'Regal. Cut in the edges and around roof equip with heavy brush then mopped on the open areas with corse long handle paint broom. Two hours and $32 bucks per year for piece of mind is a bargin.
BTW: I found no evidence of lapped sheeting on my roof and believe it to be a one piece roof. Is this correct?

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post