Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Used RV Tires
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Used RV Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
He should pay you to take them. It's called a disposal fee.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I have one of those exact tires sitting in my garage. Tread depth on mine looks just as good as the one in your photo. All in all, the tire I have "looks" like a good tire. It's just a little older than the one in the photo.

It is from the set of Michelins that came with the coach. Was one of the things that was touted by the seller: "newer tires". I knew nothing about date codes at the time.

The second season I had the coach, the starboard, outside duel developed a half, golf-ball sized bulge in the sidewall. Within a few days it grew to soft-ball size and finally blew one night while sitting in the driveway. It made a scary noise, but was not a violent blow-out or anything like that.

Was certainly glad it didn't happen at 70 mph.

This was my experience ...the experts have spoken in the previous posts.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Tire blooming is not cutting up an old tire to make a plant holder. Tire blooming is the flexing of the tires to help the compound built into the rubber keep them pliable for use. Age is never kind to tires. The lack of use and age is what dries them out.

If you were selling your coach and you needed it to look pretty... Perhaps. But, then you've got that darn moral compass guiding you back to doing the right thing. Sadly, I don't believe the guy who is selling these tires knows how to use a compass. Well, that's not a fair statement either, he did tell you that he was "taking some very long trips this next year all over the country and wanted the peace of mind while traveling the long distances." so perhaps that is all he needs to tell you to feel good about this.

I'm glad Rodney is asking. No one is infused with knowledge unless one is taught. Sometimes the teaching comes from a knowledgeable person and a receptive listener, other times it comes from destruction, receptive pain ends and emotional feelings.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
They will not give you a "casing credit" at a dealer for anything over 4 years old and also do not retread such a tire. If your current tires are absolutely bad give the guy a few dollars for a steak dinner (so he does not have to pay a disposal fee of $5 to 20 per tire), but do not pay him $100/each. It is a great risk to have a blowout and it is not only dangerous (the tires don't know if you are local or cross country) but it can also cause severe damage to your coach. Then you are at the mercy of whoever shows up on a sunday with whatever tire. So if your own tires are over the edge, maybe. At least buy some new steer tires (preferably not chinese). We had some old semi truck tires on our bus with over 200'000miles but they were not over 10 years old. Rather a slightly worn tire that had good care, rubber ages from day one it was made, not when it was mounted.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
No one is infused with knowledge unless one is taught. Sometimes the teaching comes from a knowledgeable person and a receptive listener, other times it comes from destruction, receptive pain ends and emotional feelings.

Will Rogers said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

and..."A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people."

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If you are going to buy these tire at least take the bite and put new steer tires on. Rear blowout not good. steer tire blowout DEADLY. Short trips dosen't mean slow trips.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
When I bought my ’85 about 3 years ago I drove it on some short trips to sort out the brakes and suspension. When it was ready to go over the road I had the tires replaced and I asked the guys to check the date code on the tires that were coming off the coach – they looked kind of old.

Turns out they were the original 1985 tires!

While I am pretty handy with a wrench the thought of just a flat tire while I was away from home is enough to get me to make sure I have good tires. 400 ftlb torque on the lug nuts, no spare, 120 lbs for each wheel/tire and the cost of a road service call is enough to make you cringe. Add in possible damage and loss of control – you really don’t want to question your tires.

The 22.5” wheels on the Barth share a tire size used by over the road trucks – you can get some good tires that are cheaper than the Michelins – but that will be a little harder riding.

$100 for the used tires? Only if he gives you a warrantee!!!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My van had a flat yesterday, here at my place in GA. The bulge clearly showed cracking, not evident when the tire is inflated.

They have about 50K miles and lots of tread, but they're 7 years old, and I'll replace them in a couple of weeks.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I had time to get back on the site and talk about the Barth. Thanks for all your advice on the tires and stuff. I will be looking for new tires soon it seems like. I love this site. You guys are so helpful. Anytime you guys come to Charleston, SC let me know.

Rodney

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sk8er32283:
You guys are so helpful.
Do tell Rodney. What happened?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
My van had a flat yesterday, here at my place in GA. The bulge clearly showed cracking, not evident when the tire is inflated.

Once a year I deflate my tires quite a bit and have Susan creep forward while I look at the bulge at the bottom for cracks or lumps. I don't look at the insides nor do I look at the inside wheels of the duals, but it makes me feel like I am trying to stay on top of things.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
(laughing to myself) Now don't get in a fuss about what I am about to tell you. I can feel the "I told you so's coming already". And it kills me believe you me. I did end up buying the tires. All six of them for 500 bucks. Now here is my justification. The tires the are on my rig right now are completely shot. To the point where I am unsure if I even want to drive her to the shop to get the tires switched. I have cracks in the tires that are all of a 1/4" wide plus. They are bad let me tell you. I don't really understand how they are even holding air right now. I am going to put these used tires on till I can get the money together for some new tires. All said and done I will be into the used tires for about 900 dollars once they are mounted. Not too bad in my book when comparing to 3500-4000 dollars for new. But with this said I am still heeding your guy's warnings. They will be replaced ASAP. I hope no one takes offense to me because I went against most of you guys. It took a lot of thinking and mumbling to myself to figure out what I was going to do. I will let you guys know when the first one goes if it does before I get knew ones. Then you can throw out the "I told you so". It will be alright though, because you did.

By the way does $35/tire mounting and $30/tire balance sound like a descent price?

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
I suppose its better than what you have now. I just have a pet peeve about false economy (and I am a charter member of the cheap bastards club).

I looked up my last tire change (2009) and the six new Bridgestones cost me $2,205.24 for the whole job – drop the rig off and pick it up including disposal of the old tires and sales tax. These are the correct 22.5” tires with the right load range – the same size and type that your rig uses. If you look around enough you can find the right place to buy tires from.

So for a little more than twice the cost of some old used tires you could have new ones.

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once a year I deflate my tires quite a bit and have Susan creep forward while I look at the bulge at the bottom for cracks or lumps.

A) Do not irritate Susan too much prior to these events
B) Do not put too much life insurance on yourself.

You should be fine if you follow this advice Cool

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
(laughing to myself) Now don't get in a fuss about what I am about to tell you. I can feel the "I told you so's coming already". And it kills me believe you me.
Right now, if you told me the sky was green and rises in the west, I'd believe you. Smiler You won't hear an I told you so from me. I hope it works out for you.
quote:
By the way does $35/tire mounting and $30/tire balance sound like a descent price?
Sounds like a good price.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis