Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Used RV Tires
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Used RV Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted
So I found a set of 6 Michelin XZA 1 275/72r/22.5 tires. The seller reports only 28000 miles are on them and the rv has been covered its whole life. I still have to go and look at them tomorrow to view them for myself of course. He is selling for the best offer. I am thinking of offering 150 dollars a tire. Do you think this is fair/smart. My thought process is the following... I really need tires and don't have 3000 dollars to drop on new tires, they are used with no warranty and I still have to pay for mounting and stuff. I will only be using the rv sparatically and for mostly short trips until I pcs to my next duty station. Please chime in I really need your guys experience on this one. I plan on looking at the date manufactured overall condition, bead condition and tread wear/pattern wear and cracking. Anything else to look at??? let me know and I will add it to my list. I am going to look at them tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks alot

Rodney

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Date code, If they are 5-6 years old and you were going to put 30,000 in the next year.great, But if your not putting miles and they are 10 years old save your money. I decided that I would take the money hit after I bought mine. If you spend the 3g now you get to use and have more peace of mind. If you do it latter and sell the coach some one else gets that enjoyment. most R.V.tires are replaced for age not wear.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Have you done a search on 'tires' on this site. There is a ton of research done on RV tires.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned, age, not mileage, is paramount. If the tires have had any treatment (like tire shine), avoid. If they are more than 3 years old, also avoid. If they aren't the same exact size on your coach's label, think twice.

If those conditions are met, start at $75/ea. Mounting and balancing could run $50+ per wheel.

Of course the real question is, "Why are you replacing the current tires?" You really need new tires because:...?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are you replacing the current tires?"

the other question is Why is this person selling these tires? If they have life, only a few years old and 30k miles wear left, why not keep them?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The worst thing for tires is running underinflated. Next worse is sitting.

Neither of these can be detected in a used tire.

An old tire that took a short trip one weekend a month is far safer than a tire of the same age and mileage that took one or two long trips a year and sat for the rest of the year.

This cannot be detected in a used tire, either.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
I did not expect so many replies last night. Thank you. My tires cam on the coach used. They are pretty much shot with wear and side wall cracking. They also do not match at all. The tires on the coach now do not match the data tag either. One of them also went flat when I first got the coach but hasn't since then. Right now the data tag says to put 285/70r/222.5 and the new used tires are the 275/70r/22.5(miss typed this in the first post) which is another concern I failed to bring up in my initial posting. The way I looked at it was that I would be in a much better position with these tires than what I have right now. The gentleman that I talked to said that he was taking some very long trips this next year all over the country and wanted the peace of mind while traveling the long distances. Sounds like he has some money to me. He has a 41ft something or other. Sounds big and expensive to me. Let me know what else you guys are thinking. I am going to go and talk to the seller still just to see them and get more info. It can't hurt.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Read this tutorial on tires. Good luck, I hope it helps you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
am going to go and talk to the seller still just to see them and get more info. It can't hurt.

Make sure you wear your uniform and all the salad when you go.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post

So here are some pics of the tires that I went to look at. They all look like they are in very good condition. Even wear, no cracking, nearly 1/2" of tread, good beads, no patches, no bulges and no major curb marks. George was very nice and was a retired E-9 from the Air Force, so you can imagine the conversation digressed a couple of times. The tires were used frequently from the time they were installed new on a 41 foot rv until about 2 weeks ago. Only reason for the replacement is to have brand new tires for the upcoming 2 years of frequent traveling he is planning. We talked price a little and I think he will take 100 bucks each. He wanted 125 each but seemed a little flexible. I noticed the date code said 4501 which I believe to mean 45th week of 2001 so that mean they are nearly 10 years old. But they were installed in 04 so does that by me some more time with them if I take care of them. He said that the tires have never had shinning stuff/dressing put on them, so that it good.

So I am really thinking of getting these tires as long as they will fit on my 22.5 in ALCOA's. I still have to figure that out. Let me know if you have anymore feedback or if you may have changed your mind about the tires based on what I have described above.

Thanks alot for sharing your experience

Rodney

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

posted Hide Post
quote:
of 2001 so that mean they are nearly 10 years old

....... :. D'oh ............those pictures look pretty nice, so did the sirens on the rocks!
cummon sailor!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
That is a hard call to make....I was there with 10 yr old Michelins. Do I keep them or go with new Michelins or what? Each person has their own situation. I went with a Chinese tire my local tire distributor had good experience with over the last 5 years....8 new tires (19.5) mounted and balanced for $1200. I decided I could use them for 5 years and sell on Craigslist and put on new again. There are a lot of variables: pocketbook, anticipated use of vehicle, time it sits, weight of vehicle.etc...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Amen to what Dick said! I'd rather buy used toothpicks or chewing gum than tires that old.

Too much risk, IMHO.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
He's selling them because they are 10yr old tires. He wants the peace of mind because he knows better. 10yr old tires are not what I would want on my coach.

What has you thinking that this might be a good deal for you? Unless this unit was parked indoors, in a climate controlled environment and was lifted up on the jacks when not being used... then I might consider them for a slow speed trailer being pulled behind a riding mower.

When a tire blows out at highway speed and it tears up the body on your coach or tears open a propane line then you're in for a whole lot of hurt. If it's a steer, then you've got the steering to contend with too.

Now, if you still want to use them you've got the collective wisdom of several people saying "We Told You So". Ask Corey about his tires that he replaced one at a time on his entire trip back to New Hampshire.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time I was researching the purchase of a motorcycle helmet. Naively I asked how much should I be expecting to pay. Wisdom replied, "How much is your head worth?"

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post