Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    holding tank sizes '94 Breakaway???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

holding tank sizes '94 Breakaway???
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
trying to calculate size of my holding tanks.. but can't get at the grey water tank to measure.. so wonder if anyone with a similiar Breakaway has some idea of their tanks sizes.thanks

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beeoh:
trying to calculate size of my holding tanks.. but can't get at the grey water tank to measure..

Measuring is not always accurate unless your tank is perfectly rectangular with no slope at the bottom.

Does your tub or shower empty into the gray tank? If so, pour measured buckets down it until it will take no more.

If the shower empties into the black tank, then pour measured buckets down the kitchen sink until the gray tank indicator shows full. That is not terribly accurate, but will be close. Some older tanks will dribble a little at the top when completely full. You could pour down the kitchen sink until an observer spots a dribble, depending on construction, insulation, etc.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
As soon as I finish my radiator replacement, I will measure my tanks and report back. Tanks may have the capacity stamped or cast on the tank, I saw this on the black tank when I was repairing it some time ago but don't remember the exact volume.

I have a Spartan chassis so the actual tank placement and volume may be different then yours.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Possibly, in the process of giving your tanks a good cleaning, you could do the opposite of pouring measured amounts INTO the tank, and instead, measure the amount coming OUT of the tanks [into 5 gallon pales] ...this is how I was able to determine the capacity of mine.

Unfortunately, my bathroom sink empties into the BLACK tank, which just adds unnecessary volume to the more critical of the 2. My kitchen sink and shower empty into the GRAY tank and more often than not, I dump my untreated [gray] water back-into the environment somewhere in an appropriate place.

I think my BLACK tank is about 40 gallons and my GRAY tank is about 60 gallons ...I wish it were the other way around.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
The build sheet on our 34' says the tanks are 40 gal each.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long, I finally got under there and got the sizes off the tanks. If you look at the area around the drain outlet, you should see the manufacturing company name, part number and the capacity. On my Breakaway/spartan chassis the gray tank is 40 gallons and get this, the black is only 26 gallons!! This is from the labels on the tanks!! Don't know what the fresh water is, could measure but the tank is in an insulated metal enclosure and I don't know how thick the insulation is around the tank.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the help with the tank sizing...I was able to measure the fresh water tank accurately at 60 gals...now I will use 40 gals for the grey and possibly the same for the black but will try and find some labeling (altho its not very obvious on first looking)

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the black tank and the label, I will try to get a picture tomorrow of the gray tank

You can barely make out the size on the right of the outlet. The Tank on mine is located just ahead of the drivers side rear wheel.

You can also see the break at the bottom of the outlet that I had to fix.

Gray tank photo:

Size info can barely be seen above and left of the drain.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater