Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    inverter-charger/solar controller wiring question?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

inverter-charger/solar controller wiring question?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
Just got a good deal on a Trace/Xantrex 2512 inverter/charger. Have to do some re-wiring to locate in an outside compartment right next to house batteries. Thinking I should also relocate my solar controller right next to new inverter. I'm hoping to run heavy 12v cables from battery bank directly to inverter/charger (less than 3') and then connect solar controller 12v output directly to the same studs on inverter. Anybody see a problem here as long as proper fusing is used? Although new inverter has an electronic transfer switch, the easiest 120v connection would be through the already installed transfer switch at the foot of the bed which then connects directly to 120v breaker panel. I'd be doubling up here I know but does that matter? thanks

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beeoh:
Thinking I should also relocate my solar controller right next to new inverter.

I don't know the amperage output of your solar array, but, if the wires from the controller to the batteries are heavy enough, relocating it might be a pain.

I they aren't heavy enough, replacing them with heavier wires might be less trouble. (or adding another wire in parallel)

Heavier (or extra parallel) wiring is the best return per dollar on solar.

I like mine where I can see what it's doing.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If there are any mechanical switches or relays, neither unit should be placed in the battery compartment due to a possible explosion of outgassed hydrogen. Further, neither is likely built for outside.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
OOPS...should have mentioned that I'll be mounting these in a compartment seperate but near battery compartment. It will be sealed from weather and properly vented. Cable run nice and short. Solar controller (40 amp) has a remote readout as does new inverter so no monitoring issues. Just need to know if connecting solar controller directly to 12v studs on new inverter is okay (with a proper size fuse)and if I can connect 120v output of inverter to existing transfer switch.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post